Something interesting to share? Come on in!
no avatar
User

Ramen

Precautions to avoid being hacked

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:21 am
From hacking reports these seem like the leading reasons to why people get their accounts hacked:
(In no particular order)

1) They have large amounts of runes on their account.

2) They have large amounts of gold on their account. This includes advertising and selling expensive items in the auction house an/or global chat.

3) They piss off someone or some guild

4) Their character(s) generally have valuable gear and purposely shows it off.

5) Buying of accounts or gold from non-gameloft sellers.

6) Falling for scams.

7) Having a password that is insecure and is used for online sites also.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Solution to 1 and 2:
So I would advise never having more than 50 runes at a time max and no more than 1000 gold. Send all the rest of your gold to a alternative character.

Note: Also, makes sure your baking character isn't on the same account as your main characters. It would be a shame to lose your all of your accounts over a measly sum of gold. I would also advise parking your gold storing account at a less popular auction house such as the one at Crimpson Tower, Antoria or Bellshoal, Tear Coast.

Solution to 3:
Don't piss off people too bad, keep in mind that it is only a game and yelling at someone with blind insults really never got anyone anywhere. This includes in game and in real life. Unless your actually have a rational insult then people really couldn't care less.

You can always block people and turn off specific chat channels.

Solution to 4:
This includes epic trinkets, epic pets, paid pets, and even just large numbers of epic weapons.
Unless you're gearing up for a dungeon run or a pvp duel there really is no reason to show off your epic weapons and gear. I would say that 2 epics is probably a average amount, but if you have 3 epics and 2 epic paid trinkets then that's a bit excessive.

Solution to 5:
Never purchase gold or accounts from non-Gameloft sellers. You may never see your investment again if you purchase from an anonymous seller.
Purchased accounts and issues dealing with purchased gold will not be supported by Gameloft.

Solution to 6:
Just because it's a game doesn't mean that you shouldn't use your common sense. There are people who purposely prey on those who are gullible enough to fall for phony scams. Remeber that Gameloft will never ask for your password. So don't give out your password to anybody.

Another common scam is for a guildee or someone to purchase runes on your account for you, but first you must give them your password.

Solution to 7:
Don't make your password "abc" or "123" or anything easily guessable. Don't associate your password with your Gameloft live email or character's names. Also, most importantly, don't use the same password for online websites as you do for your account.

If your password appears on the list below then I would highly advise you change it:
http://www.whatsmypass.com/the-top-500-worst-passwords-of-all-time

Some people say that changing your password is useless against hackers. Yet in the case that someone does obtain your password at least they don't gain access to bank accounts and other important things of yours.
no avatar

EpicE

Re: Precautions to avoid being hacked

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Why would runes matter? Not like the hacker can take the runes for themselves?
no avatar
User

Ramen

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:14 pm
EpicE wrote:

Runes can be used to buy essences of god to craft epic gear with and sell for gold.
When someone sells a account they incorporate the number of runes into the price.

Look at this for an example: http://onlinegames-forum.gameloft.com/index.php?topic=33899.0
This guy was carrying around 320 runes, around $50 worth. Most likely he was hacked because of this.
no avatar

GoodWill

Veteran

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:45 pm
Ra wrote:
EpicE wrote:

Runes can be used to buy essences of god to craft epic gear with and sell for gold.
When someone sells a account they incorporate the number of runes into the price.

Look at this for an example: http://onlinegames-forum.gameloft.com/index.php?topic=33899.0
This guy was carrying around 320 runes, around $50 worth. Most likely he was hacked because of this.

Also, if a hacker gets an account with runes, they can migrate the toons to a different server for name change, then sell the account easier.
--
GoodWill

Get In The Van: Because some men aren't looking for anything logical.  They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.  Some men just want to watch the world burn.

BenAfflict - ranger - AF
MiniDriver - mage - AF
Guild: GetInTheVan

MattyDemon - monk - WI
Guild: no
no avatar

OxfordDon

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:13 pm
Risk factor #8: Being Chaix
Solution #8: Avoid Chaix
no avatar
User

Ramen

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 am
OxfordDon wrote:

Risk factor #8: Being Chaix
Solution #8: Avoid Chaix

Please, lets refrain from posting spam like that. There's already 1500000 topics that topic.
no avatar
User

Herrina

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 am
This topic has gotten my attention. I wanna say thank you, Ra for creating this. This will help a lot of O&C players. Kudos! :)
no avatar

Scotch

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:55 pm
Here's my suggestion: Ban anyone who admits to being a hacker via video evidence or admitting it here on the forum... photshop is frowned upon these days.
I once gave a $#!*, but then I remembered it's not real life.
no avatar

adamchrt

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am
Hi people, So before you spread a "rumor," think, evaluate and check the facts. Then if it is something that should be passed on, decide on the best way so that is well understood.
no avatar

Viktoria

Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 pm
Guys, thank you your willingness to make the contribution. We will take you statements into consideration. ;)
Please remember that every time you use your Gameloft Live Account in an unofficial site or application, you are giving the site owners access to your account!

Gameloft will never ask for your account password!