Something interesting to share? Come on in!
no avatar

OxfordDon

Senior Member

Posts

375

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:29 am
Hadn't noticed the inline updates.

Mary fromGameloft wrote:
[update] Thanks to our players, we could accelerate the fix that will be live soon. We of course regret to have to deal with people spreading the "how to", it can spoil the game experience for some of our regular customer & it delays the team work to bring new content updates. With time, as for any MMO, the game gets more & more solid, and we can give more tools to the CC to track (phishing) hackers & gold sellers/buyers. We'll be even more severe with them now, to ensure a good experience for our regular users.


To date, the reaction has been directed at GL and to a lesser degree the hackers. There hasn't, however, been much attention towards those who actually provide the market (and with it RL cash) that motivates at least some of the hacking. Namely the widespread practice of buying / selling accounts and gold, etc. I hope GL can crack down and impact this black market. If nothing else at least it will reduce the amount of spamming / scamming on general chat. If there was not an easy way of turning pixels into cash then at least we'd only be stuck with not-for-profit hackers.

Some of the player base does bear responsibility for this as well.

Mary fromGameloft wrote:
Q: Are there any plans to change the uncoded packet issue, specifically, that appears to be at the heart of this problem?
A: Yes. So far we're adding SSL encryption. We'll see if we'll add more down the road.
[update] Also, it's confirmed that the packet issue is now fixed. We're currently waiting for the update to come live.


Excellent.
no avatar

OxfordDon

Senior Member

Posts

375

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 am
Mary fromGameloft wrote:
@OxfordDon

Mate, I understand your point. But, take it with the Devs. :) ) They are extremly paranoid this days. :P And they have a good reason to, aswell. :)


Sure thing Mary I'd be very happy to! Can you please send me their email address(es)?
User avatar

Mary fromGameloft

Veteran

Posts

2130

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 am
OxfordDon wrote:
Mary fromGameloft wrote:
@OxfordDon

Mate, I understand your point. But, take it with the Devs. :) ) They are extremly paranoid this days. :P And they have a good reason to, aswell. :)


Sure thing Mary I'd be very happy to! Can you please send me their email address(es)?


You do know... I like my job, right? :D

I mean... How it is right now... :D With me on it. :P
Find the answers to most of our known issues using the support website:

http://support.gameloft.com
no avatar

OxfordDon

Senior Member

Posts

375

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:02 am
ha ha

Now that the patch has been submitted I'm hoping you'll be able to use your awesome powers on the Venus Flytap quest. The situation is hilarious, probably the funniest incident since SmoakEater got the polearm stuck in his head, but the poor folks are suffering in the absence of feedback. Cmon now go kill those pesky lizards and free the captives.
no avatar

Teaweasel

Veteran

Posts

571

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 am
[quote="Mary fromGameloft "]
Guys, don't be rude and stop picking on Viky.

She's just trying to help.

@Tea.

Well, you are a bit wrong, there... You can't look at it. We can. ]

First, Viky has always been a kind and well intentioned person on these forums, I don't wish her any ill will or any grief. But the fact is Mary.....

We can look at it.

We can,

And that's the problem.

I was curious, I wanted to see exactly how bad it was so I picked up the components and saw for myself, and it's bad. If I can see that much just as a moronic amateur with no real intention to do damage, then those looking to do damage are having a field day. And sadly that field day has been going on since this game released in April.

I know you remember Frostine, when she lost her 3 60's in June before Update 1?

And I remember us talking in the Abby/Kudo thread about how you guys thought it was a hacking and were worried because people were getting hacked without giving out any personal details...

Well now we all obviously know how that happened...and yeah Frostine quit game, although she still posts on occasion here (her forum name is "frostine" all lowercase). Well her case epitomizes many over the course of the summer who mysteriously lost their accounts after posting on forums that someone invited them to a group or a trade and then they lost everything.

I know you know this. I know it's a tragedy, and I know both you and Viky are trying your best to control a forum-riot.

But the matter isn't about what we all can't see and what you can,

The matter is about what everyone can see. Because there are no secrets and right now even I could "hack" using the data that Viky is saying can't let you hack with. Now obviously you guys closing the gameloftlive.com site was a good step, but it's not a failsafe. And you guys are insanely INSANELY (forgive the caps) vulnerable. And that makes everyone vulnerable.

Please fix this Mary.
Image
no avatar
User

Chaix

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 am
Can we expect recovery from the bugged, equip glitched and the 9/30/11 day of no required right password day on a timely manner now also? Or are these speedy fixes just for the recent hacked victims? I'm curious because I did just recieve recovery of the recent hackings but none from the no required right password day. For I now have 2 CC email replies with still no resolution.

I also see that some of my friends from the bugged/equip glitch have still not recieved any resolution. I do understand the dev team has/are busy but for some of them it's going on almost 3 months now. Any status on my questions is appreciated.
no avatar

Writeratlarge

Senior Member

Posts

182

Join Date: Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 am

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:10 am
Sorry I'm responding to this thread rather belatedly ...

Mary, thanks for getting some official response to my questions. Much appreciated. :)
Check out MASSIVELY PORTABLE, the podcast about pocket-sized MMORPGs!
no avatar

Teaweasel

Veteran

Posts

571

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:43 am
I would strongly suggest Mary that you listen to Writeratlarge's podcast this week. If you don't have an hour, I understand, but listen to the first 20 minutes. You as a GameLoft employee will be glad that you did.

Take care,

Tea
Image
User avatar

Mary fromGameloft

Veteran

Posts

2130

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:46 am
@Tea.

I think we're talking about two different things.

I was talking about the moded posts. Even if they are moded, we can see them, and usually, we save that kind of posts. :)

Now, what were you talking about? :O

And about fixing, yeah we are. With the new Update, we hope the issues will be resolved.

@Chaix

The fix in the new update is linked to increasing the security level so that accounts won't be hackable anymore. (If you can excuse me inventing new words :P )

@Writeratlarge

Your welcome. :P

@Tea.

Doing that right now. :D
Find the answers to most of our known issues using the support website:

http://support.gameloft.com
no avatar

Evolution

Veteran

Posts

638

Re: Hacking issues

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:05 am
Mary its good to know that the update is going to improve security but what steps are you guys taking to restore lost gold/rune/items to the hundreds of compromised accounts? I hope y'all don't plan to leave all these people empty handed after everything they went through.

And like chaix said what is being done about the weapon glitched characters who have been waiting 70+ days for their stuff back.


EDIT ok I read the whole post and you guys say gold and runes will be given out but I'm still waiting to hear the 2nd part of my question answered.
•Avovado•
AF iOS