no avatar

World Citizen

Apple (iOS)

Learning kids to lose.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 am
Hi Devs!

Hey, I am seeing something happening which shook me a bit.

I am part of a scoutsgroup, since 1990. In the years I have seen kids get lost in games or breaking down thier social life. So I started a sort of "game healthy" group with a bunch of these kids. I explain them how to use games healthy and combine it with outdoor activities. You have to get your balance right.

I introduce games which invoke strategies or simply perseverance. 

------------------------

I see you introduced inrace smiley's and in return I get kids that evolve some sort of anger. We always teach our kids that losing is no problem. We also learn our winning kids to include the **** in thier party. You can't win without someone losing, and our best kids are willingly to give a win away so everyone wins once a time. (these are forrest games or other outdoor events)

Kicking someone when he is down... is the worst thing you can do as a winner. 

Somehow these smiley are invoking anger. I try to explain them not to get angry about it... but it isn't really working. Kids feel like they are getting provoked and bullied. 

I have to be really careful with this. I don't want kids to ever feel bad about losing. The whole point is to get them to smile and have fun with it... but kids seem to translate the smiley's as a hate symbol. 

Could you maybe think about this for a while and try to empathize with kids and these kind of situations?

I know it's a very small part of the game, and shouldn't be a problem, but maybe you should go and watch a group of kids play this, and see how they evolve anger when these smiley's pop up during losing. 

This can't be healthy. 

Thanks.
WC
no avatar

Salvador_2424

Google Play (Android)

Re: Learning kids to lose.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am
World Citizen wrote:
Hi Devs!

Hey, I am seeing something happening which shook me a bit.

I am part of a scoutsgroup, since 1990. In the years I have seen kids get lost in games or breaking down thier social life. So I started a sort of "game healthy" group with a bunch of these kids. I explain them how to use games healthy and combine it with outdoor activities. You have to get your balance right.

I introduce games which invoke strategies or simply perseverance. 

------------------------

I see you introduced inrace smiley's and in return I get kids that evolve some sort of anger. We always teach our kids that losing is no problem. We also learn our winning kids to include the **** in thier party. You can't win without someone losing, and our best kids are willingly to give a win away so everyone wins once a time. (these are forrest games or other outdoor events)

Kicking someone when he is down... is the worst thing you can do as a winner. 

Somehow these smiley are invoking anger. I try to explain them not to get angry about it... but it isn't really working. Kids feel like they are getting provoked and bullied. 

I have to be really careful with this. I don't want kids to ever feel bad about losing. The whole point is to get them to smile and have fun with it... but kids seem to translate the smiley's as a hate symbol. 

Could you maybe think about this for a while and try to empathize with kids and these kind of situations?

I know it's a very small part of the game, and shouldn't be a problem, but maybe you should go and watch a group of kids play this, and see how they evolve anger when these smiley's pop up during losing. 

This can't be healthy. 

Thanks.
WC

Hello, 

This is really unfortunate if this is true. Although the emojis (smileys) have been introduced into the game in the most recent update, I don't think this the issue.

The recent update made several changes into the multiplayer part of the game, Including a strict rating system that has frustrated many players. A matchmaking system (a system that puts players with similar car performances based on car rank) that does not work. Changes to the physics of the game that has made people opt for a more aggressive driving style (forcing others to crash or wreck them). And a new rewards system that has greatly reduced rewards compared to before the update.

In conclusion, the game is frustrating to all players because a rating system that punishes more than it rewards players. A system the puts drivers against opponents with better cars. A change to in game physics that forces players to drive more aggressively. And a rewards system that does not reward players well for their progress.

We are all hoping they (Gameloft) makes changes and reverts everything back to how it used to be before the update.

Taercenn

Windows PC

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:07 pm
This is not the kind of game you want to use to teach kids anything with.

Take them out and actually do something. Don't encourage digital tethering in children.
no avatar

Hiwrx

Apple (iOS)

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm
This is a very interesting point. How is this system affecting the psyche of a child? I’m pretty sure there are a bunch of kids playing this game. With the emojis, it’s just telling them that it’s cool, fun and acceptable to kick someone when they’re already down. That’s a bully mentality that GL is promoting and it’s a small form of cyber bullying to the recipient. Most adults are mature enough to handle this behavior, but can the fragile mind of a child deal with it? I’m sure GL didn’t do its due diligence in thinking of the ramifications of the use of these emoticons.
Hiwrx's MP Mantra - "Multiplayer? What's that?"

GL Customer Care Mantra - "Submit a customer care ticket"  "Send me a screenshot"

Oldtool

Windows PC

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:11 pm
Taercenn wrote:

Take them out and actually do something. Don't encourage digital tethering in children.

I set up my office as gaming room so I could play this (and other games) with my grandchildren.  They  actually made me play A9 but they turned out to be a lot smarter than me. They quit long ago. I doubt that any child will ever get to garage level 18 in this game. It's too frustrating and requires too much grinding to hold a child's interest. The real s.uckers are the oldies like me, plenty of patience and unlimited free time but after being kicked in the g.uts over and over it might be time to learn from the kids....
I wish I'd taken the blue pill.....

Taercenn

Windows PC

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:06 pm
Oldtool wrote:
Taercenn wrote:

I set up my office as gaming room so I could play this (and other games) with my grandchildren.  They  actually made me play A9 but they turned out to be a lot smarter than me. They quit long ago. I doubt that any child will ever get to garage level 18 in this game. It's too frustrating and requires too much grinding to hold a child's interest. The real s.uckers are the oldies like me, plenty of patience and unlimited free time but after being kicked in the g.uts over and over it might be time to learn from the kids....

The wisdom of youth should not be underestimated.
no avatar

GrandTheftAsphalt

Apple (iOS)

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:59 am
Oh look, another thread resurrected from the dead that isn't tearing the game team a new one..... [Mod edit- spam post deleted]

So obvious! [Yes, obviously spam!]
Remember, DON'T click ads, DON'T play MP and DON'T buy any in app purchases. Sort your game out!

NiceDriverThe1st

Google Play (Android)

UK

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:16 pm
Yeah I feel like kids need to learn that losing is perfectly fine and honestly with the physics ppl are just gonna be agressive no matter what - just look at Fh4 and when they 'fixed' ramming I still got shoved into trees every race and slammed into walls which got me penelazied and the penilization system was created to stop ramming the irony
The forums gonna close or has close so join this one 
https://asphalt8.freeforums.net/

no avatar

IreneD

Apple (iOS)

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 pm
It is better to switch the child's attention to some board games, to read a book, whatever. My sister's son will go to first grade and now he is addicted to games and gadgets. Everything in the family led them to come to such a situation. Grandparents are allowing him to play not to deal with the child, if only he was sitting quietly, the dad himself plays the same games (an example for a child). My son currently goes to the daycare in my town https://kidcityusa.com/locations/florida/crystal-river/. I don't hide my phone from my three-year-old yet, but I try to keep it out of his sight ...