no avatar

redfishsc

Windows PC

This is just shameful tactics.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am
There's a lot of things that Gameloft has done with this game that might not be all that different from other game companies but Gameloft does a really bad job of hiding it, if they're even trying. 

You learn a LOT about their tactics when you play the same race over and over and over. You get damn good at following the same pathways, hitting ramps at the same angle, managing nitro consistently. 

Here's some things I've noticed, over and over.
  1. They vary your car's potential speed more than you realize, from one race to the next. I noticed this VIVIDLY on the Bugatti event. I maxed out the first day's events just for fun and credits, won literally everything in the max amounts. There were days, however, that doing the EXACT same race, with the same car, unchanged, using the same path and nitro management tactis would give me a 3-5 second variation in my lap. Meaning, I had a LOT of times I didn't make the goal, despite running the race repeatedly just as well or better than I'd done 6 hours prior. Saw the same thing today using my Asterion on the Class B even. I ran that race REPEATEDLY hitting everything the same way, and got as much as a 5 second variance despite being very consistent in my racing. 
  2. Rubber-banding is excruciatingly obvious on a lot of races in Career mode.     If you are above the recommended rank, you don't usually have to be a good driver to beat it. Go try this, on longer tracks. At about the 50% progress mark, make sure you're in #1 position. Stop using nitro. Just drift. Drift well....but just drift. You KNOW you are driving slower than everyone else was driving in the first half of the race, but you'll still pull a LONG way ahead of the pack. None of them will burn nitro, because you aren't burning nitro. 

And, notice how the cars ahead of you almost ALWAYS burn shockwave the moment you do too. That's horse manure.

Then, go find a race where you have two cars close in rank. One is above the rank (green numbers) and one is below the rank (yellow numbers), but you know they are similar. The one in green usually can win by a Russian kilometer, but the one in yellow will lose because of one of the AI racers being stupid overpowered. 

This is just predictable and unfortunate. I wish you game planners were half as good as your graphics designers.
no avatar

Perinormel1

Apple (iOS)

Re: This is just shameful tactics.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 am
so that’s why in MP the same exact car as mine with a lower rank is still faster..
If you practice doing the exact oposite of what your community wants, then promptly putting your fingers in your ears and hoping they go away. Then expect nothing but unconstructive feedback.

Sayaneechan

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:48 am
I am not sure about the first point. Maybe it is just me but I have never noticed the nerf on the Chiron, or any other car for that matter. On day 1 I have always consistently done around 1.08 and even 1.05 runs. That is more than enough to beat the times.
Then of course, I have also made over 1.11 sometimes, but that was solely because of my bad driving during those races.
Vehicles owned: 200/232
Stars: 1860
Helmets: 1355
Licenses: 2555
Latest max proed vehicles: 2010 Bentley Continental Supersports, Nissan 370Z Special Edition, 9FF GT9 VMAX, Lightning LS-218

My Asphalt 9 club: Me, Myself & I
Sorry, it's private, it's just me alone and I have put it up to get some extra rewards. You shall not pass  ;)

Xenabite

Apple (iOS)

London

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 am
The game has an algorithm programmed in whereby your progress is artificially capped at certain points so that you do not advance too quickly and either end up spending bucks in the shop and/or generate ad money for GL.

It’s especially noticeable in MP with the yo-yo effect other users previously described but it also exists in career, daily and special events and it comes in different flavours, variable strengths and timing. It is also tied to whether you’re a highly/regular paying, one-off paying or an f2p user and it’s tied to prizes too, their frequency and rarity. 

For example today I’m finding that my platinum league progress cap is within 1480-1520 window. I was solid winning up until 1520 rating then my car started behaving erratically out of the blue - nothing to do with being KD’d, slipstream, level design or my driving. It just misses an input here and there, starts barrel rolling off 360 ramps or simply drives into a wall and crashes totally out of random. Sometimes it also quite visibly slows down so that a fully upgraded high class ride feels like a Tesco trolley for one match whilst still claiming you’re driving at above 300mph. 

It will drop me down from 1520 to 1480 (or below) then I’ll build it up again, then get pushed down the ranks again, over and over like the above mentioned yo-yo. Eventually after I have played enough hours, watched enough ads and the MP season has moved on to next tier phase it will allow me to progress to an upper rating bracket, then cap me again there - sometimes right before crossing to a higher league, sometimes earlier. 

The way moving into higher MP levels works is mostly tied to how far into the season we are but it also works like a lottery - you get stuck in this progress cap limbo and then sometimes after playing enough you get that lucky streak of 3-5 matches where you come in first place - also artificially, it’s like your car is all of a sudden on steroids, KDing everybody and running miles ahead of all other cars at light speed with yellow dots vanishing off your minimap. Again, this mostly happens when the game decides the time is right for you to advance but sometimes it can happen earlier, lottery win style. 

Those yo-yo cycles also vary and come in waves - sometimes it’s a constant win-3xlose-win for a 5 fuel car, sometimes win-win-3xlose, sometimes (during being pushed down the ranks) it’s 4xlose-win etc. The game will loop the same cycle of wins and losses for a certain amount of time and that’s where it’s easy to spot it. 

All of this is rather subtle at first and gets you thinking oh maybe it was just a one off glitch, maybe I suck, maybe it’s because of KDs or matchmaking being a disaster, but the fact of the matter is it only needs to happen once per match for you to come in last place, and after several months of playing you begin to notice more and more patterns which make it very obvious how rigged this game is overall.

My last Cairo race just before this post: I was in the lead by miles, nobody was able to catch up to me, then at the last moment the car skewed off a 360 ramp half rolling to the side, drove half the bridge on its side and crashed just before the finish, I got teleported way back and ended up last. Go figure.

Also, a few days ago I bought two LaFerrari packs then I enjoyed a few hours of special MP treatment - all of a sudden I was winning a whole lot of races, very occasionally coming 3rd at the very worst. No competing cars in sight, my car was on warp drive to the finish all the time. And it wasn’t one of those lottery win streaks, it lasted much longer than those. 

I believe there’s a degree of randomness written into it too so it doesn’t always trigger, only at certain progression points. Sometimes it just switches off as well and for instance, you can win a career race with a car that’s a 300-500 below required rank.

Another thing I noticed is how it almost always kicks in during daily events on your last pack run - you will ride the same car 4 times, take the exact same route, win 4 matches and obtain all packs from each of them then on the 5th run it will crash you so that you miss the very last pack. 

Whatever you say about skills, hacking, KDs and competing players there’s definitely something under the hood here and the longer you play the more visible it becomes.

My 1st post btw. Hi guys *waves* :)

Sayaneechan

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:27 am
@Xenabite idk, I don’t think I have experienced that. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that there aren’t any physics bugs. There are indeed. I am referring to stuff like missing inputs and such. 
Sometimes I miss the buttons myself, so I truly don’t need the game to do it for me 😂
Vehicles owned: 200/232
Stars: 1860
Helmets: 1355
Licenses: 2555
Latest max proed vehicles: 2010 Bentley Continental Supersports, Nissan 370Z Special Edition, 9FF GT9 VMAX, Lightning LS-218

My Asphalt 9 club: Me, Myself & I
Sorry, it's private, it's just me alone and I have put it up to get some extra rewards. You shall not pass  ;)
no avatar

Spudanky

Apple (iOS)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 am
@Xenabite excellent first post. I’ve come to the same conclusions playing A9. Btw similar under the hood/randomly activated systems as AsphaltXtreme, but “improved”, which means much worse in actuality. It gets me upset that these types of sneaky systems exists in games, and go directly against why I love gaming. I don’t want a cultivated experience. What’s sad with A9 is that it has potential to be an excellent game minus all it’s shananagins. I wanna play a skill based arcade racing game on my phone that doesn’t try to trick me into an artificial experience to try to milk cash from me. Maybe one day. But just as long as these invisible systems do exsist, those offending game companies won’t see a dime from me, that’s for sure.
no avatar

Denise-Duc

Windows PC

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:40 am
@ Xenabite +1 excellent post
What you could have added is - mp - waiting for other players - just sorting out who to screw over this time ,
like you mentioned with prizes - mp packs - free pacs - watching vids - just sorting what crap to give you this time .
; )

Xenabite

Apple (iOS)

London

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 am
Thanks guys.

@Sayaneechan I guess you're one of the few lucky users where the progress cap doesn't activate too often then. I suppose if you play casually and switch between race modes often you wouldn't notice it too much or see it as glitches, lack of skills etc.

It becomes much more apparent when you grind races and redo the same route over and over again with the same car. At some stage the game is guaranteed to go 'oh, you're having fun? here, have a crash or two, that'll teach you'

I began noticing these mechanics 1-2 months into the game which I've been playing everyday since its global launch after properly familiarizing myself with its tracks and building a decent fleet of fully upgraded cars.

At first I thought I was just being paranoid but then saw this video from Teddy Sadcat - https://youtu.be/5eZ4xfd90uA - where he clearly demonstrates how some supposedly buggy game behaviour is an actual gameplay element aimed at keeping you from winning. Then more and more people began reporting similar stuff, last but not least the OP in this thread.

In the end you just have to accept things for what they are with the game being an aggressive pay to win fest. They designed it so that you the more you play/win the more you get punished. At times it seems like they want you to permanently stay in that borderline rage quit zone and bully you into dropping some real life coin to succeed.

The way I've been dealing with it is, once I notice that the punishing algo has kicked in I just stop playing for the day, or focus on some low level events where it doesn't bother me much and just accept that hey, for now I'm locked into gold/platinum league and going further than that is impossible.

I get that Asphalt 9 is supposed to be a revenue generation machine for GL but yeah, I wish it was fair, purely skill based with affordable upgrades in the shop and robust matchmaking in MP. I could see myself playing this game for many years then, regularly spending some cash on it every week or two because in the end there's a lot to like about it with awesome visuals, sense of speed and sound.

But as it stands with all the screw ups and the frustration I will soon join the growing number of people who deleted it and I'll never look back, just as I did with A8 when they messed it all up.

Gameloft will Gameloft. Life goes on :)

Captain Nemo74

Veteran

Windows PC

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm
Excellent post Xenabite!
I was working on a similar analysis but I am still fairly new and usually end up mired in Gold League, so I was holding off posting until I had experienced the higher leagues. Thanks for explaining so effectively what many racers are experiencing.
||
How many Windows10 programmers does it take to mess up a Windows10 Update?
Only one........................ unfortunately Microsoft has 365 of them! ;)

Xenabite

Apple (iOS)

London

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 pm
Thank you @Captain Nemo74 :)

(also props for my favourite quote from my favourite movie in your sig!)