Fabien FromGameloft

Community Manager

Matchmaking: how does it work?

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Hey there racers!

How was your first weekend with Asphalt 9?

Some players are wondering how the matchmaking works in Asphalt 9. Here is an explanation: 

The matchmaking is based on your race results: As you win and lose against other players, your skill level changes to reflect how well you perform in the game.

Occasionally you will be matched against players that are driving cars that have higher ranks than yours. This means that:
  • they do not play as well as you and need a stronger car to reach your skill level
    OR
  • they are transitioning to their real skill level and will quickly move up the ranks

Our objective is to get all players to a point where almost every race is a fun challenge, racing against opponents that can go around the tracks about as fast as you!

You have noticed as well that when you climb up to a different league you gain the right to use extra cars.

This is used to protect newer players so that they don’t get matched against impossible odds.

When you get to the top of your league, you will start to be matched against players from the league above you. You will need to play at your best level to move to the next  league and access the extra rewards!
no avatar

Yassineo

Google Play (Android)

Re: Matchmaking: how does it work?

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 pm
Its ridiculous we prefer matchmaking based on car rating 
that what's happen when it's based on skills or whatever it is
and how can I beat them ? A lot of them I get matched with 2000 rating difference in mp that's just ridiculous,we want car rating based matchmaking,I like the game but matchmaking ruined mp for me
Attachments
Screenshot_20180728-153416.png
Screenshot_20180728-153416.png (735.96 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
no avatar

Touhidul Hoque

Google Play (Android)

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:23 pm
That's just plain ****.
We want car rank vs car rank.
Not skill (650 car rank) vs skill (1800 car rank).
Just think about it
How anyone supposed to beat in a straight road with that much difference?
Are the developers nuts or going crazy?
I am literally **** off by the matchmaking system
no avatar

anx

Google Play (Android)

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm
Hello. Made an account just for this haha.
I am pretty new to Asphalt in general. Dabbled around in A8 and AX but they never really sucked me in the way A9 is.

I haven't even touched multiplayer yet but I already see some major inherit flaws of having matchmaking based on just skill rating alome rather than vehcle rating or a combination of the two.

Firstly and most obvious to me:
Given the amazing variety of track style and length, lower rated cars simply aren't competitive with the faster cars on certain tracks regardless of driver skill. For example the quick 20 second downhill ski jump one. Higher rated cars reach a much higher max speed much quicker than the lower cars and it simply impossible to catch up before the finish line.  The same goes for tracks with a lot of straight lines.  I would think most short tracks are quite difficult even for the proest of pros to beat a high rated car with a low one.

Secondly, if multiplayer racing is based on skill rating alone and nothing else. Let's say months down the road I've worked my way up the ranks and want to just kick it in a slower car for a while. Is it pretty much guaranteed that I'm never going to be able to have any good races since everyone else will be using whatever the fastest car possible is. 

Again I've never played the multiplayer myself yet and maybe I don't fully understand some things. But the way I see it we have a competitive "ladder" style ranked racing mode, and we have nothing for the casual players who just want to chill and drive slower cars. Or just y'know not try to win all the time. I think a good solution would be to introduce an unranked mode with either creatable restricted rooms or preset divisions to choose from so that players have the option of racing with others in identical/specific cars. 

Alternatively, keeping things the same but adding some weight into the player's car stats alongside their skill level. I'm sure over time data will show exactly which cars are unfairly fast on each course

I don't know maybe we're just over reacting 😂
no avatar

Invi

Windows PC

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 pm
Now I do see that you're doing this to attempt to avoid what happened with Asphalt 8's multiplayer. Just certain cars being completely and utterly dominant, for D teir, where I only really played because I didn't care much about it the porche 911 tuned 4 in top speed and 5 in nitro was the most dominant car for the lowest ranks without a shadow of a doubt. BUT you need to realize that allowed people to play with who they were comfortable with.

Your method of matchmaking for asphalt 9 is just completely and utterly bonkers, there is no way that you all HONESTLY think that's the best way to do the matchmaking, someone whose skill is down the drain but has the fastest car in the game could come up against someone with starting lancer. Just because of the guy with the starting lancer did at least decently well with their first race. The only way you could do your system of driver skill vs driver skill would be to have it so they have similar best times, in the car, they are in on the same maps.

and I think that isn't the greatest way to do that because similar times does not equate to similar skill.

Hope you took the time to read that entirely.

Laxus Ralenion

Apple (iOS)

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Driver X

Apple (iOS)

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:34 am
I think this is a great way to do matchmaking. It stops players from clubbing the poop out of newbies and motivates you to get better cars, but still be competitive if you don’t have them. That and they change cars every season so there aren’t any stale meta cars! Every car should get it’s chance to shine!
no avatar

Abhijit_Dasgupta

Windows PC

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:48 am
Yeah, then we face 21xx ranked car vs 11xx ranked car. Also placing players in MP is not random like A8. Lower rated guys always get headstart and higher ranked guys get last start. Placing players in MP should be random just like A8.
no avatar

Abhijit_Dasgupta

Windows PC

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:50 am
Nice matchmaking ( in terms of car ranks ). I had to quit that race ;-;.
Attachments
Screenshot (2199).png
Screenshot (2199).png (599.8 KiB) Viewed 6271 times

duke nuke em

Windows PC

USA

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:44 pm
Another load of crap from admin.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over with the same result.