Discuss about Disney Magic Kingdoms here.
no avatar

Unlucky Ducky

Windows PC

Re: Grumpy Design: A gambling moneypit.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:07 pm
Regardless of whether or not they have read the comments, Gameloft won't be doing themselves any favors by acknowledging people's frustration.  Players had 2 choices, #1 pony up or #2 hope to get lucky.  If people stood together and went without Grumpy and didn't spend money (or gems) on the other premium characters, Gameloft would have made less $$$ than from the Alice event, and would have rethought their strategy.   If the posts on here are any indication, enough people have chosen #1 to make it worthwhile.  If it has been extremely lucrative, they will definitely be doing it on every event from here on out.  

I can't fault Gameloft for trying a new pricing strategy.  Its success or failure is entirely up to the players/fans/user base.  We vote with our wallets.   Personally, I am not spending a single gem during this event.  After I harvest the characters for their gems (upgrade them to level 10), I will happily lock them up in prison (AKA "visiting home").  Maybe I will let Snow White walk around...

Marc_Suede

Veteran

Windows PC

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm
Even though I have voiced concerns over their slot machine ads (which I have learned to ignore by now)

THIS GRUMPY THING IS NOT GAMBLING!

Think about it - the most basic gameplay mechanic in DMK is that you send character to a task, which may have multiple rewards like tokens, and then you have a chance of getting a token or not getting a token. They have expanded this basic gameplay mechanic to include chests, which in case of Grumpy you can buy with gems - so you only pay if you want to speed up getting the Grumpy, and there are many free ways provided to get him including some character tasks for both of his tokens
no avatar

Bblw1307

Apple (iOS)

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm
It is gambling though, because it is mathematically impossible to unlock him through regular game play without paying for chests.

Sending characters on a quest is free. Chests are not.

Marc_Suede

Veteran

Windows PC

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:06 pm
Bblw1307 wrote:
It is gambling though, because it is mathematically impossible to unlock him through regular game play without paying for chests.

Sending characters on a quest is free. Chests are not.

Mathematically impossible says who? I say who - somebody who is really not that good with math

If regular gameplay includes getting free chests from events & sending premium characters to collect Grumpy tokens, then I see no reason why you couldnt unlock him naturally, which I fully intend to do!
no avatar

Bblw1307

Apple (iOS)

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm
And when you end up not even close, I'll be here, and I won't be a babbling fool about it like you. I'll simply say, "I told you so."
no avatar

Bblw1307

Apple (iOS)

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm
And I've already done the math. Betting you haven't.

Marc_Suede

Veteran

Windows PC

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 pm
Bblw1307 wrote:
And I've already done the math. Betting you haven't.

My math says: Grumpy here I come! (that is without spending money)
no avatar

Bblw1307

Apple (iOS)

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm
I do wish you luck my friend!

(however, after multiplying by the least common denominator and carrying the zero, I would say your chances without spending any money are roughly 4.33%)

Manor Phantom 1000

Windows PC

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 pm
Confident enthusiasm vs. pure mathematics. Place your bets. No, wait...that's gambling.

Marc_Suede

Veteran

Windows PC

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:31 pm
I know, I know - I never got the Grumpy...
But it was because i stopped playing at that Christmas, so I didnt get the Queen either.

And cheers for reviving the blast from the past!  p)