Discuss with the Dev Team!

Gameloft_DPS

Dev Team

Let's Talk: Guild Wars

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:02 pm
Hi folks,

Just to kick things off for our new Guild War feature, I've written up a brief FAQ. Of course I'm sure there will be more questions, which is exactly the purpose of this thread; ask away!

FAQ

What is a Guild War?
  1. A guild war is a 3 day event where Guilds compete against each other for highest leaderboard position.
  2. The "War Points" earned to rank on the Guild War leaderboard can only be earned in the Guild War. This event is completely separate from the Guild Tournament.
  3. A Guild War is made up of matches called "Battles." A battle is 1 hour long, and is a match between two guilds based on an automatic matchmaking process.
  4. To participate, a Guild Leader or Officer must "Declare War". This will enter the guild into the Battle Queue, the Guild Wars matchmaking system. The battle begins immediately when an opponent Guild is found. Guilds can enter the Queue again after the battle finishes to start a new battle.
  5. After a Guild declares war, the Guild cannot recruit or kick players until the Guild War ends.
What are the rewards for Guild War?
  1. When the War ends, any player who participated during the event recieves rewards, based on the Guild's standing in the Leaderboard.
  2. The top tier rewards for Guild War are the new best armor and weapons in the game.

What is a Battle?
  1. A battle is 1 hour long, and is a match between two guilds based on an automatic matchmaking process.
  2. To participate, a Guild Leader or Officer must "Declare War" before each battle. This will enter the guild into the matchmaking Queue. The battle begins immediately when an opponent Guild is found.
  3. Players can attack the Stronghold of enemy players. A successful attack earns War Points for the attacking player's Guild.
  4. When the battle is over, the Guild to earn the most War Points during the battle gains a War Point bonus.
  5. Players can also choose to "Raid the Armory" to find Battle Supplies. When a Guild earns enough Battle Supplies, they trigger Battle Frenzy for a limited time.
  6. At the end of a Battle, the guild that earned the most points in that battle will earn a percentile bonus to the points they earned.

What is Battle Frenzy?
  1. Battle Frenzy is a special short-duration boost that gives a Guild extra War Points for all successful attacks.
  2. Battle Frenzy triggers automatically when a Guild earns enough Battle Supplies by raiding the opponent's Armory.
  3. A guild can extend the Battle Frenzy timer by gathering more Battle Supplies.

What are Battle Quests?
  1. Battle Quests refresh at the beginning of each battle. They are special objectives that reward a huge War Point bonus.
  2. Battle Quests can be found in the Opponent Select menu while the Battle is active.
  3. Battle Quests count for the whole Guild, so they will require cooperation to complete.
Who can play?
  1. Anyone in a guild over 10 members can participate.
How can they play?
  1. Guild War is accessible from the Guild War button in the player's main base. The button will be available when the event activates each week.
  2. Before players can fight, a Guild Leader / Officer must Declare War first.
Does Guild Wars use energy?
  1. Yes, but not the normal kind, so players will be able to participate in Guild Wars without interfering with their other activities. Guild Wars uses "Morale" a new Guild PvP energy that is available in the shop whenever a Guild War event is running.
Why can't I recruit or kick people from my Guild?
  1. After a Guild declares war, the Guild cannot recruit or kick new players until the Guild War ends.
My guild won rewards in the Guild War, but I did not receive any of them. Why?
  1. In order to earn rewards, you must participate by attacking successfully at least once. Inactive players do not receive rewards.

Good luck on the battlefield!

Zungedous

DH5 Ambassador

Apple (iOS)

Re: Let's Talk: Guild Wars

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:33 pm
Hi DPS,

Thanks for an initial clarification on Guild Wars and the mechanics behind it.
However, I have a few concerns that I would like to raise for this system after reading this introduction post:

1. What goes on behind this automatic match-making system that pairs guilds up together?
Would it be fair to ensure that both guilds are equally matched (ie. similar total number of trophies or similar average levels of players in the guild etc)? If there aren't these measures in place, will there be any penatly system for the stronger guild or vice versa?

2. How often will Guild Wars run? Would it be like once a week? 

3. What are the evolution materials necessary to evolve these new gear or do they come naturally as T6?
If there are evo mats, will they be obtained by regular daily dungeons or would it be like WC where a guild has to obtain a certain score for members to get the mats or are these only exclusive to the players who won the most points (eg. Top 5)?

4. You mention under Battle Quests that they require cooperation to complete. Does this equate to co-op style missions?

5. Will there be a guild chat system active throughout this period of time? 
While there is one in-game, it is almost impossible to talk to one another during battles and having an external chat channel will potentially raise the chances of the game crashing.

Also just a side question, what authority does the guild officer have? Can he kick and hire players under normal situations?

That's about all. Hope these queries can be answered. :)
DH5 Guide Blog - https://dh5guideblog.wordpress.com/ 

"If you spend the whole day shuffling words around, you'll make anything sound bad." - Rick, from Rick & Morty

Kaseus

DH5 Ambassador

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:04 pm
Thank you DPS, I have a few questions as well. i imagine it would be easier for me to structure them the same way as Zungedous.

1. This post refers to "Morale" as a source of energy for Guild Pvp. This Morale will be available in the Shop making it obvious that high spenders have clear advantage winning these Guild Wars, resulting in the best items. My question is, how much of a benefit is it to purchase Moral in the Shop. For example, if it costs only 10-50 gems to continuously take part in the Guild War for a solid hour, I do not see issues.

On the other hand, if Legendary guilds will have the option to refill Morale for about 1-3 Stronghold Raids as in normal Stronghold Tournaments, this is highly unfair. As it would be the difference between 100-500 gems and the players wth the deepest pockets win.

2. Players have two courses of action in the Guild Wars, (1) Attack enemy strongholds (2) Raid the Armory.

(1) How are the Strongholds chosen? Is there a list of Guild Members and we may choose, or it is random. Do different Strongholds count for different quanities of War Points?

(2) How long do Battle Frenzies last, and can Battle Frenzies "stack" with one another, meaning that several low levels can be triggerin Battle Frenzy at the same time.

3. Will higher ranked Guilds (Players in Master3 and Legendary) have a much greater chance at recieving these items and rewards for Guild Wars?

4. Will there only be one element set as a reward for Guild Wars every week? 

5. The Guild War events last 3 days with 1 hour long battles, Do the players get to decide when this hour takes places? Or is it a Universal moment when the Guild War Battles begin?

Thank you for your efforts, and I'm looking forward to hearing back. ^_^

Kaseus

Aragorn, son of Arathorn

Apple (iOS)

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:11 pm
Here're mine questions:

1. Which players exactly will receive armors / weapons after the tournament? "top tier rewards for Guild War" is a bit vague definition.

2. How many players will be getting this new gear in total?

3. What are the other rewards possible?

4. Is it really another gem race for refills? In other words, how heavily are the war mechanics dependant on morale refills?

5. Aren't you afraid that introduction of such high-stat items will devalue all previous efforts (=gems and time) put into WC and chest gears? The T6 WC evo material scheme was bad enough, don't you think?

Gameloft_DPS

Dev Team

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:47 pm
Hi Zungedous,

Great questions! I hope I can provide sufficient answers:
---
Q: What goes on behind this automatic match-making system that pairs guilds up together?
Would it be fair to ensure that both guilds are equally matched (ie. similar total number of trophies or similar average levels of players in the guild etc)? If there aren't these measures in place, will there be any penatly system for the stronger guild or vice versa?
A: We have to find a balance between wait times and finding a "good match" -- this is the eternal problem of all matchmaking systems. I can't discuss the details of the system or what metrics it uses, but it does try to take into account the difficulty of the guild as long as doing so wouldn't make you wait too long.
There are no current handicaps placed on stronger guilds, as this would penalize them for their achievements. However, a disadvantaged guild can still win by being more active than their opponents.
---
Q: How often will Guild Wars run? Would it be like once a week? 
A: Currently the plan is to have a Guild War event each week.
---
Q: What are the evolution materials necessary to evolve these new gear or do they come naturally as T6?
A: Based on the feedback we received from the Wanted Challenges, the new Guild War armor/weapons will not require any unique evolution materials. We felt that if you take the time to earn these items, you should be able to maximize their power. They will be obtained at T3 and will be able to reach T6 using the same materials as other T6 gear.
---
Q: You mention under Battle Quests that they require cooperation to complete. Does this equate to co-op style missions?
A: No, the Battle Quests are just goals to which everyone can contribute. For instance, one of the quests is to "defeat all opponents" at least once. A single player doesn't have to defeat everyone on the enemy team, but collectively you should leave no enemy player undefeated. Battle Quests will reset at the start of each battle, so you will have a chance to earn bonus War Points in every matchup.
---
Q: Will there be a guild chat system active throughout this period of time? 
A: You will have access to your Guild Chat from most of the menus in the Guild War, although it will not be accessible while you are raiding an enemy stronghold. You will probably be too busy fighting minions to be typing anyway ;)
This will allow communication with your guild in between fights, and will allow you to coordinate against the enemy guild. Well-organized guilds will use this to scout enemies and give information about their level, gear, and stronghold defenses to their guildmates. 
---
Q: What authority does the guild officer have? Can he kick and hire players under normal situations?
A: The guild officer will be able to kick Member rank players, accept/deny join requests, send guild invites, edit/delete the sticky message in the Guild Chat, and purchase Guild Bonuses with gold from the guild bank. In Guild Wars, Officers may Declare War and enter the guild in the Battle Queue for subsequent battles.
---
Cheers!

Gameloft_DPS

Dev Team

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:54 pm
Hi Kaseus,

Thanks for your thoughtful questions! Hopefully, this will offer some clarification:
---
Q: This post refers to "Morale" as a source of energy for Guild Pvp. This Morale will be available in the Shop making it obvious that high spenders have clear advantage winning these Guild Wars, resulting in the best items. My question is, how much of a benefit is it to purchase Moral in the Shop.
A: Although Morale will definitely impact the amount of points your Guild earns, the Battle Quests will also have a huge impact. If a guild isn't coordinated or strong enough to complete these quests, they will have to farm a LOT more to catch up.
---
Q: How are the Strongholds chosen? Is there a list of Guild Members and we may choose, or it is random. Do different Strongholds count for different quanities of War Points?
A: There will be a list of all members in the enemy guild. They will be worth equal quantities of points, but you will gain bonus points for attacking players who have not yet been defeated; the first 3x successful attacks against a player will yield this bonus. If multiple players attack at once, the player who finishes first will be credited with scoring the bonus points for his/her guild -- this won't impact the guild's score, but will show up in the War Log where you can view your guild's progress.
---
Q: Can Battle Frenzies "stack" with one another, meaning that several low levels can be triggerin Battle Frenzy at the same time?
A: Battle Supplies can be earned by anyone at any time, so yes, they do stack. Three players seizing Battle Supplies from the enemy Guild Armory will be able to trigger Battle Frenzy much faster, and will be able to sustain it more easily than a single player raiding alone.
---
Q: Will higher ranked Guilds (Players in Master3 and Legendary) have a much greater chance at recieving these items and rewards for Guild Wars?
A: Everyone starts at 0 War Points at the beginning of a Guild War, so there is no advantage to being in a higher league. However, since players in higher leagues tend to have better gear and play more often, we suspect that they will perform well if they participate.
---
Q: Will there only be one element set as a reward for Guild Wars every week?
A: Currently, that is the plan. There will also be higher-end trinkets rewarded at some tiers.
---
Q: The Guild War events last 3 days with 1 hour long battles, Do the players get to decide when this hour takes places? Or is it a Universal moment when the Guild War Battles begin?
A: It is entirely decided by the players. That means you won't get matched against a Guild unless they also entered the Battle Queue. We did this to make it less likely for Guilds to get matched against inactive opponents, or Guilds from other time zones. Fighting a sleeping enemy would be terribly dishonorable, and just no fun!
---
Cheers!
-DPS
no avatar

ruggedland

Apple (iOS)

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Can you earn war points by defending? Or is it earned by attacking only?
no avatar

LcVenom

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:33 pm
I have a few questions also.

1. You categorically stated that heavy spenders are at an advantage. Meaning money wins. So where is the balance in all of this? 

2. How can you ensure fair play when the whole game is filled with cheaters who use apps to modify the game to their advantage? 

3. How can you compete when  you have cheaters like these? You say you have banned 140+ players but is that enough? These cheaters have energy hacked their way through the game, what makes you think that the guildwars energy that can be purchased in the shop can't be hacked also? 
4. Why roll out the guildwars update BEFORE you finish cleaning up the game of it's irregularities?

5. Why make us spend for guildwars energy when we don't even know if our enemy guild has 3pcs t4 trinkets that were made "legally"?
Attachments
SSSSSS.jpg
SSSSSS.jpg (238.02 KiB) Viewed 4310 times

Gameloft_DPS

Dev Team

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:59 pm
For expediency, I'm going to start combining and paraphrasing questions from different posts as they come:
---
Q: (Paraphrasing) What other rewards are possible? Who gets the rewards?
A: For launch of the Guild Wars, the rewards will be (in order): 
Best Gear in Game (Armor AND Weapon, T6 max, legendary equivalent stats)
Just the Armor + Legendary Chest Key
T4 Trinket
T3 Trinkets
Gear Chest Keys
T4 Fusion Boosters

For top guilds, there will be great loot available that would be difficult or impossible to obtain elsewhere. For most guilds, Guild Wars will be a great place to get gear chests to accelerate your early and mid-game progress. Even the lowest guilds will at least be able to snag some good fusion boosters for everyone or a few gear chests.
We want this event to be fun and worth-while for everyone, even if your guild isn't able to top the leaderboard.

All participating players in the guild will receive the same rewards, so there is incentive for even the least active members in the guild to participate.
---
Q: Can you earn War Points by defending?
A: No. We decided that since this event emphasizes participation, we didn't want to allow players to advance without showing up to fight. This means that there is no reward for a successful defense other than denying your enemy points. If one of your players goes undefeated, you will be denying your enemy substantial points from Battle Quests.

However, defending is still valuable because if you can earn MORE points than the enemy Guild in a Battle, your guild will receive a percentage of the War Points earned during the battle as a Victory Bonus.
---
Q: How can you ensure fair play when there are issues with cheaters?
A: I'm afraid I can't address cheating issues, as those are handled by another part of the team. I'm on the design team, so for this thread I'm going to focus on the mechanics of Guild Wars, but I totally understand your frustration with these bad eggs in the community.
---
Cheers
-DPS
no avatar

ruggedland

Apple (iOS)

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Thanks for the reply. Gotta say it's ironic that the only way to get "morale" in a GL game is to spend.