DoKtor_GonZO

Lost Angeles, Fornicalia

Duplicate Item Drops From Chests

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 pm
Something I gripe about a lot and I see others griping about is how often openning a chest gets you not only something you don't need, but something you already have. Given the high price of a chest - 50 gems - or 100 gems for the new "VIP" chest - it really gets people upset when such an investment is rewarded with something of no use beyond a +1 Super-Fusion. The end result is new players get quickly disenchanted with buying chests, and veteran players stop bothering since odds are against them getting anything of use.

Changing the chest system to allow selection of armor, weapon, or skill - or element - is obviously a lot of work. But what if you just put in a 1-pass "duplicate check". That is, just before dropping an item, make sure the player doesn't already have it - or doesn't have something like it that's "worse". So, if he's already got a Kinashi crossbow, don't drop some weak 3-skill cross-bow that's of no use. If the dupe-check fails, just call the "drop-item" method one more time and then move on. So if you get a 2nd dupe: oh well.

Assuming your host code is well modularized, that should be no more than 20-lines of code to put in and would make investing in chests much more worthwhile.
“'Crazy' is a term of art; 'Insane' is a term of law. Remember that, and you will save yourself a lot of trouble.”

-- Hunter S. Thompson

no avatar

Asasinka

Re: Duplicate Item Drops From Chests

Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:35 am
Nice idea but you will end up with nearly endless loop with this algo combined with pseudorandom gen for veteran players.
Better idea would be a list of all items (not takin into account the tier) with stripped (or less probability weighted) player owned items on which the dice would be rolled.

DoKtor_GonZO

Lost Angeles, Fornicalia

Re: Duplicate Item Drops From Chests

Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:20 pm
I'm talking about just one extra pass - no looping. If the original item dropped fails the "this is useful to the player" test, call the method drop-item again and let the chips fall where they may. That way its minimal impact on the existing code.

Stripping down the list of possible draws is good too and probably not much more work. But it would require rewiring the core method to generate drops. Not that I oppose that, I was just looking for whatever had the least chance to break stuff.

There is a whole lot of frustration I see in the chats about the chests being so expensive and more often than not providing gear that's useless to the player. If they were half the current price in gems, I don't think people would care as much and would probably end up spending more gems on chests. So if you wanted a "no work required" approach to this problem: drop the price in half and lock it there. And, no, the current "10-tickets for a chest" thing doesn't count as "reducing the price." The time investment is huge to get 10 of those damn things and when players get a duplicate or useless (to them) item, it's complete negative-reinforcement. Maybe the impending "Special Offers" will address this.
“'Crazy' is a term of art; 'Insane' is a term of law. Remember that, and you will save yourself a lot of trouble.”

-- Hunter S. Thompson