SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Announcing changes to SF (in the game)

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 am
All changes to SF should be announced.

See attached screen pic.

Use the in game notification tool 
I would like to respectfully suggest that the in game notification tool be used consistently *every time* the SF software is changed / updated.

What does "every time" mean?
When I say *every time* SF is changed or updated I do not just mean the major updates (i.e. typically well announced and identified by UPD nn where nn is the number assigned to the update). What I do mean is *all* the changes that are made in the background as well, for example: tweaks, hotfixes, price changes, new/altered features, drop rate adjustments, (so called) "balancing", nerfing, etc.

How would this work?
Just as is the case now, all players get a little red exclamation mark  *in the game* to go look at - regardless if they are (or are not) Gameloft forum users / Facebook page followers / Discord server users / in a players group, etc

Improved transparency will help Gameloft
In my opinion, improved transparency (and consistency) in this regard would be healthy for the game - it may also likely result in an improvement in the levels of respect that customers have for the Gameloft SF team and the Gameloft brand.

Further comments
The above suggestion does not address other things that the in game notification tool could be considered to be used for, such as:
1. Advising of changes prior to the change being made
2. Tutorials and teasers

Additional suggestion
Many other games I have played have turned updates into something that players are rewarded for (as opposed to something done by attempted stealth and shrouded in sneakiness). These games offer a small "thank you for updating" reward for the player. I suggest Gameloft consider this for SF updates.
Attachments
!Screenshot_20190809-101328.jpg
!Screenshot_20190809-101328.jpg (166.23 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
SnipeyMcSniperFace / DT was a78d2d5 now a78d2d5b / Android / Server: apa / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) and every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. Sometimes I find it annoying when SF changes / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I don't take cosplay selfies of me dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)
no avatar

Fireguy

Windows PC

Why is there not a Moderator in the global chat? That place is loaded with abusive people that all they do is wait for a new player to come in and ask questions and they all jump on them like a pack of wolves. Surely this cannot be good to attract new players who may spend money on the game. If the global chat cannot be a useful place for new people to get help or questions answered then why even have a global chat? All I see it as a place of mal content and a deterrant that causes new people to leave and not want to play Sniper Fury. If there cannot be a moderator to keep new players from being abused then I see no need for that feature of the game. New players can be directed to the forum shortly after joining to get questions answered. Clans can also recruit new members there as well. Clan chat is the only chat needed and clans can also use a third party chat app if they so desire. I vote that global chat is removed from the game. It can only continue to be bad for business. This is my recommendation for changes
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Fireguy wrote:
Why is there not a Moderator in the global chat? That place is loaded with abusive people that all they do is wait for a new player to come in and ask questions and they all jump on them like a pack of wolves. Surely this cannot be good to attract new players who may spend money on the game. If the global chat cannot be a useful place for new people to get help or questions answered then why even have a global chat? All I see it as a place of mal content and a deterrant that causes new people to leave and not want to play Sniper Fury. If there cannot be a moderator to keep new players from being abused then I see no need for that feature of the game. New players can be directed to the forum shortly after joining to get questions answered. Clans can also recruit new members there as well. Clan chat is the only chat needed and clans can also use a third party chat app if they so desire. I vote that global chat is removed from the game. It can only continue to be bad for business. This is my recommendation for changes

Welcome to forums.

Edit note: Off topic

Re: "I see no need for the chat feature in the game"

I agree completely.

I've been playing this game every day for a long time. When the developers introduced Global Chat (UPD18 I think) it was a cute feature but basically all anyone did in there is say "hi" to each other, put up some **** emoji then ask a dumb question that wasn't even related to SF. I quickly learnt. So now I do not go into Global Chat regularly - there is no need to. I pop in from time-to-time but on most occasions I leave wondering why I bothered going back in there because the signal to noise ratio is just too annoying.

My primary concern with Global Chat is not some of the annoying people in the room - as they are easily ignored (the signal to noise ratio is a big issue - as you have stated in your post - but it's not the show stopper - in my opinion). My primary concern is that Global Chat is (for me anyway) very resource heavy on my device (processor and therefore battery also). There are many posts in these forums on such matters so I'll leave this one alone for now. 

My advice for what it's worth: Don't go into Global Chat at all - ever! Unless they (the developers) change Global Chat so that you earn rubies or XP (experience) or $$ or gold, etc. by going in to Global Chat then there is absolutely no need to open Global Chat at all.

I recognise not everyone will agree with the above advice - there are those who have the time to sift through all the garbage to use Global Chat as a useful tool - I'm just not one of them at this point in time.

Re: "Why is there not a moderator..."

Here's one way to think about it... (I stress here that this is not the only way to think about it - it's just one way. I also fully expect this deliberately provocative and narrow thinking to evoke an interesting reaction from some people on these forums).

I wonder how many players would pay real money to go into Global Chat so that the costs of a moderator 24/7 could be covered? Of course this is a rhetorical question said with a little humour underneath it - but I do have some experience in providing similar services.

The somewhat serious part to this thinking is: Good staff to fill these types of roles (not volunteers or seconded senior players) can be hard to find in the first place, expensive to sustain while you have them and hard to retain in these types of positions. If you do the sums (to cover 24/7) you need to have to retain at least 3 to 4 full time staff on the payroll to perform this role (but more likely four or five part time staff on shift rotation is often more practical from a management point of view). These staff are sometimes call centre staff looking for the next thing or a change. They would have to be translator trained and/or multi-lingual, know how to play the game reasonably well and have the appropriate training - including a full set of policies and permissions developed, etc. Then there's the cost of resourcing that team, keeping them positive in the role and motivated, having a complaints handling process, etc etc.

After all that is done you might consider investing some money in bots (or "A.I." is the new buzz term here) to innovate part of the moderator functions like tracking problem users, automatically blocking offensive text, do some coding that allows other participants to mute those they find offensive,  etc. to keep costs down, etc., etc. I could go on forever here but I won't.

So... I wonder how much players would be prepared to pay for a moderator in their Global Chat?

Other people's opinions on Global Chat...

Here's a recent thread on Global Chat (you're not the only one who's noticed the challenges with this bolt-on feature in the game) 

viewtopic.php?f=2031&t=686513

Here's a not so recent thread on Global Chat....

viewtopic.php?f=2031&t=660432
SnipeyMcSniperFace / DT was a78d2d5 now a78d2d5b / Android / Server: apa / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) and every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. Sometimes I find it annoying when SF changes / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I don't take cosplay selfies of me dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)
no avatar

omegaboot

Steam

They used to put up updates in the news under that section, and put an exclamation mark there, but they started only very rarely updating the news, especially with actual updates, and then stopped putting a mark there even when they have news. *shrugs* Seems like whoever's in charge of that is lazy.

For that matter, the News and Announcements section on the forum itself, meant for updates, is almost never used anymore, and it's nearly impossible to find updates posts on the Sniper Fury Facebook page. The most reliable place anymore is the Discussion section of the forum, which isn't saying much.

Lee_C

Windows PC

I can understand some players wanting to remove global chat completely but honestly, it is still the best resource for building clans, as well as the fact a new player comes along and is faced with a page of menus they have no hope of understanding and no help files available to assist them, many of these do turn to global chat for help, and often some actually get that help between all the garbage going on.
no avatar

Thumper81

Windows PC

Re: Announcing changes to SF (in the game)

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 pm
I know this is an older thread, but I'd like to put in my two cents worth. One of the people in GC who was quite offensive when I first started playing 2 yrs. ago (not mentioning any names, but I think everyone knows who he is, he talked nasty to women and liked to say all men were men lovers), he has almost completely changed his tune. In fact, has he not only become a rather decent folk, but rarely even visits GC anymore. If I had allowed a few rude people to influence my inexperience in GC and run out of there without giving it a chance, I would have lost out on a lot of valuable knowledge which I learned from chatting with seasoned players there. I'm glad I didn't form an opinion based on my first few visits to GC and/or without spending a little time there and giving it a chance. Also, I find that many of us players that have been around for awhile will let a player know the "rules" of GC and warn them if they are "disobeying" and about to get muted or ignored. There are many new players who come in that are much more disrespectful than 'he' ever was, or than the seasoned players that are there on a regular basis. They come in making very rude and obnoxious comments, all in caps, or they spam like crazy. We always tell them however that it's not acceptable before we ignore them, thus giving them a chance to chat with us like a normal human being. There are also times when disagreements occur between players and arguments ensue and sometimes two players can get rather nasty with each other. Almost every time this happens though, others in GC ask them to stop and let it go, reminding them that this is just a game. Then there are the new players who come in looking for help or looking to join a clan. While they may come in during a time when we are dealing with a spammer or an obnoxious person, they almost always invariably receive answers to their questions, guidance or suggestions, and/or other helpful information. Often times from more than one person. So it is IMHO that those who constantly complain about GC haven't really spent much time there. They are forming an opinion based on a few short visits there rather than really watching for a period of time and seeing what really goes on there.
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Announcing changes to SF just makes sense

Sat May 02, 2020 11:53 pm
SnipeyMcSniperFace wrote:
[snip]

Use the in game notification tool 
I would like to respectfully suggest that the in game notification tool be used consistently *every time* the SF software is changed / updated.

Further information to support the suggestion in this thread and an example of why information should be available *in the game* can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=2031&t=699769#p3962037

[Edit May 12, 2020: ... and another example can be found in the thread linked below. Summary: the season dates were changed (circa UPD42 changeover to UPD43) and there was no notification *in the game* whatsoever.

viewtopic.php?f=2031&t=700207

Edit July 4, 2020. (~ 2330GMT Friday July 3, 2020).... a change was pushed through (Android version) with no notification of what it was - more info here to follow once available.

end edits]
Attachments
Screenshot_20200704-093547.png
Screenshot_20200704-093547.png (813.03 KiB) Viewed 618 times
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: Announcing changes to SF (in the game)

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:17 am
Update pushed through late July 15, 2020.

Version screen for the record.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200716-090545.png
Screenshot_20200716-090545.png (812.14 KiB) Viewed 530 times
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Reintroduced errors

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:06 pm
Update dated July 13, 2020 in the Google Play Store. I carried out the update July 21, 2020 ~ noon GMT 

Would be great if we knew what changed, other than a reintroduced old fault. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=2031&t=693823

Version screen for the record attached to this post.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200721-220127.png
Screenshot_20200721-220127.png (815.12 KiB) Viewed 478 times
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Somewhat related to this thread. See attached screen pic.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200811-135323~2.png
Screenshot_20200811-135323~2.png (91.49 KiB) Viewed 319 times