SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Remove gear from Master Packs

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 am
My suggestion is simple
Remove gear pieces from Master Packs.

Alternatives to gear in Master Packs
Now of course if gear pieces are removed from Master Packs then there would need to be some thought provided to where new (not yet seen in the game) gear pieces should be made available. Read on...

Declaration of bias
To be super clear here: I am biased on one fundamental point in this post: I just want gear pieces out of Master Packs.

There's lots of other places that gear pieces have been in the past in the game and I'm sure there are many other places they can go in future. I could probably stop this post right here - but that may be seen as irresponsible, so... Further thoughts are provided below noting that I am very much agnostic to the solution as to where gear pieces go (as long as they are removed from Master Packs).

Logic behind the above suggestion
This suggestion on Master Packs (and not having gear pieces in them) is very simple: I don't want gear pieces clogging up my gambling chances of getting a higher level squadmate. Sure, every now and then Gameloft put Master Packs on sale sans gear pieces - but this is not often enough in my opinion.

Omissions
In this suggestion post I am aiming to keep it relatively simple - so I am deliberately staying clear of the following matters (which I acknowledge would have an impact here):
1. obsolescence
2. price structures
3. immediacy of need vs legacy pieces
4. over supply / saturation
5. scarcity / dilution
6. game balancing.

Elimination of stream crossing
With all the options detailed below "crossing the streams" goes away (yes I just used a Ghost Busters reference), namely:
a. Master Packs go back to having high level SMs only.
b. If I want to gamble on getting a decent SM (or a not so decent SM) I go to Master Packs. 
c. If I want to gamble on gear pieces I go to Gear Packs.
d. If I want to be patient I can earn gear pieces every now and then in events
e. If I have lots of rubies I can buy gear pieces from the gear selection screens or other places - if and when they are offered
f. etc etc.

Some options...

Put things back the way they were
It may be possible to put gear piece acquisition back to being very similar to the way they used to be (i.e. before the only way to acquire the latest gear pieces was via an inflated drop rate chance in Master Packs). There have been (over time) different pathways to get gear pieces. There's not much in the way of new ideas below - more adaptations of what's already been done historically in the game - some of these things are still being done currently in the game. Perhaps some of these suggestions could be considered (or combinations of elements of these ideas) with a view to them being alternated/rotated/chosen as applicable.

The old school(ish) approach
Buy the gear piece by piece for rubies (via the gear selection screens) while the corresponding weapon event is running. Just before the event ends (and/or VD starts) the gear disappears from sale. Once VD ends or after some time elapses the gear pieces get put into Gear Packs. See ** below for an example.

VIP events
There were VIP events that had full gear sets in them. Maybe every third or fourth time the gear pieces are not sold directly through the gear selection screen but plonked into a VIP event. Then, after some time elapses, the gear pieces get put into Gear Packs. 

An example on "some time elapses"
Just one idea: It may be possible (as an alternative to placing gear pieces directly into Gear packs after "some time elapses") to put last event's gear into next month's VIP event then some more time elapses before it shows up on sale or gets dropped into Gear Packs etc.

The Bounty Cascade method
We had a three tiered event called "Bounty Cascade" where players did grind for gear pieces (amoung other rewards). Something similiar every now and then wouldn't hurt. (I also liked this event because we could test the weapon in PvP while the event was still running - but this is a topic for another thread).

The Global Hunt method
As much as I dislike (extremely) the Global Hunt template/event as a whole (becuase it introduces another temporary / expiring currency) I have to be fair and say that it is an option to consider also.

Legacy gear piece sales
From time to time Gameloft has offered older pieces of gear for sale for rubies (via the gear selection screens). I think this was done recently - and continues to be a reasonably giid way to sell gear primarily because it removes the gamble. (I personally don't like it when there are 30 or 40 pieces of gear to choose from and I can't afford them all at once - but this is another method to compliment the above ideas). 

Sell gear pieces in the Black Market
See post here for this option: 

viewtopic.php?f=2033&t=682271

Other options
Of course gear pieces can also be sold in the shop, put into Battle Pass, etc etc. There are many other options.

** An example of the old school(ish) option
Not long after I started playing the Sun Warrior gear was for sale. I used rubies to purchase what I could afford (one piece that had desirable attributes that I needed to buff up a bespoke multi piece gear set I used to use - back in the days before affinities were around) via the gear selection screen. Some time later I earnt a few Gear Packs through Spec Ops and I got two more SW pieces drop. Now to this day I still do not have the (arguably) very desirable SW head. I can see it sitting in there in the Gear Pack drop list - but (as at February 13, 2020) I have yet to acquire it. One day it will be mine! The point of this example is fairly obvious: multiple pathways to get gear (over time) are ok.

Note (full disclosure and some more relevance): The text above was originally going to be a post in a recent thread on a subject relating to Master Pack drop rates here: https://forum.gameloft.com/viewtopic.php?f=2031&t=695703
Attachments
Screenshot_20200423-200829~2.png
Screenshot_20200423-200829~2.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 256 times
SnipeyMcSniperFace / DT was a78d2d5 now a78d2d5b / Android / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) and every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. Sometimes I find it annoying when SF changes / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I don't take cosplay selfies of me dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: Remove gear from Master Packs

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:14 pm
Adding to the above post (somewhat related) is the following:

See the attached screen pic.

Clearly this screen needs to be updated as it is blatantly misleading and bares not even a close resemblance to the drop rates experienced while an exotic event is running.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200329-070234.png
Screenshot_20200329-070234.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 456 times
SnipeyMcSniperFace / DT was a78d2d5 now a78d2d5b / Android / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) and every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. Sometimes I find it annoying when SF changes / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I don't take cosplay selfies of me dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)
no avatar

Bouba64sealsfrancequebec

Apple (iOS)

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:20 pm
why not bring bach the hunts? gears were accesable to every player.
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:22 am
Bouba64sealsfrancequebec wrote:
why not bring bach the hunts? gears were accesable to every player.

Off topic a bit...

i think you might find there were some players who didn't like the Global Hunt events that much.

I wasn't a big fan because they introduced yet another currency (which expired) into the game. 

Ferret

MVP

Google Play (Android)

United Kingdom

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:42 am
SnipeyMcSniperFace wrote:
Adding to the above post (somewhat related) is the following:

See the attached screen pic.

Clearly this screen needs to be updated as it is blatantly misleading and bares not even a close resemblance to the drop rates experienced while an exotic event is running.

thats the standard drop rate for when there is no promotion

when the promotions are on then the promotional gear has clearly advertised enhanced drop rates (although im not convinced those 20/30/40/50% figures match reality)