Harry K

Veteran

Windows Phone

Forum closures

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 am
Is this just A8 or are GL closing all forums?
So long, and thanks for all the fish. New, independent A8 forum - https://asphalt8.freeforums.net/
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: Forum closures

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 am
Harry K wrote:
Is this just A8 or are GL closing all forums?

Short answer
All forums will close... (quote excerpt) "this is not only happening to A8. It's all the GL forums".

Where I found the answer
There is a post (see link below and attached screen pic) from 'AndreeaFromGameloft' on April 6, 2021 (in the A8 forum) that certainly makes it sound like all forums are closing - the question now seems to be a matter of "when" not 'if' (assuming I am interpreting that post correctly).

viewtopic.php?f=1505&t=713256&start=10#p4139728

We have no confirmation: Let's not panic
We do not have any indication from the CM here on the Sniper Fury forum that this will be the case and/or when and/or what will happen to the forums, etc. There is no (quote excerpt) "certain date as to when the forums will close down."

My advice: Don't it well or don't do it at all
If these forums are closing, it would be reasonable to expect:
a. the link to the forums (inside the game) be removed and/or changed to an alternative (see screen pic), and
b. some sort of notice in the News and Announcements section of these forums (maybe even an in-game notification), and
c. consideration would be given to locking the forums off to be read only so they can be used as a resource / information repository (it's a cheap option when you think about it), and
d. a clear ("official" - for want of a better term) viable realistic alternative, that is accessible by all players, is identified by Gameloft both:
 - *in the game*, and 
 - in these forums.
e. a migration plan (and/or help for players) to get them seamlessly onto the new alternative.
(Perhaps wishful thinking here on my part).

Comments / opinion 
1. My opinion on the need for these forums (based on the obvious absence of *in-game* documentation and/or timely supportive information from Gameloft) is well known and posted about.
2. There are many players who read these forums who do not have a logon to the forums - I still send junior players to these forums to read up on hints & tips or to find clans, game limits, look for solutions to issues when cc is a little slow, etc.
3. I truly hope the SF forum is not being closed because there are some parts of the world that can not access Facebook and/or Discord (even from a read only perspective). I'm also not confident that other tools can adequately fill the void that the forums would leave.
4. I have never had a problem - where ever I am in the world or who ever I am working for - getting onto forum.gameloft.com . The lack of access to Facebook and Discord (for whatever reason) for some players needs to be carefully considered and kept at front of mind here (in my opinion).
5. The default communication channel for information and announcements must surely now migrate back to what it used to be - i.e. the *in game* notification tools.

Gameloft - please consider
If these forums are closing:
i. Microsoft are (currently) actively bidding to buy Discord - my suggestion is that this be kept in mind if Discord is the alternative being offered to customers in lieu of these forums.
ii. Now, more than ever, *please* consistently use your own *in-game* notification ("News") tool from now on. This suggestion was made some time ago here:
viewtopic.php?f=2033&t=686365

[Edit: Fixed typos, added headings, added screen pics.]
Attachments
Screenshot_20210411-132600.png
Screenshot_20210411-132600.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 506 times
Screenshot_20210411-091740.png
Screenshot_20210411-091740.png (816.79 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Player name: SnipeyMcSniperFace (was 'Snipe' temporarily in 2021) / DT: a78d2d5b (was a78d2d5) / Version: Android / Server: APA / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) & every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. I find unannounced SF changes annoying / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I do not take cosplay selfies dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)

Decker

Veteran

Windows PC

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 pm
Closing forums that have become established (without proper in game docs) is the stupidest idea any games company can have.

The majority of player help is given out in these forums for GL's games, so they'd better spend a fortune hiring CS reps to replace them!
Turns out I wasn't just old and grumpy - I was right to be p!ssed right off!
Dog Tag: f8f16c
no avatar

Franck C.

Windows PC

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:11 pm
It's going to be a rude awakening for the few gamers who have invested far more time in advising other gamers than the entire Gameloft staff has over the past few months... Snipey you did their job without being paid for it, you will get a private message for thanks.

Let's face it, GL's desertion of this forum was not innocent and their greed is also valid for cutting costs, so they don't care if many players will prefer not to log on to Discord in the face of their contempt.

Only your bank card gets their attention.
no avatar

Killer_Rabbit

Windows PC

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 pm
This is indeed a shame.  I will miss the commentary from Snipey. Definately explained a lot to many  8-) .
  Honestly many times have I checked here to see what Snipey has to say.
  Discord is active but way to clutered with typical social media chat type problems. Instead of important info often its people arguing/complaining and little real info.
Just so GL doesn't have to ask:
Dogtag: fh06g62e
Server: eur
Language: English
Computer: Windows 10 (updated) Acer Aspire
internet: Charter (cable)
no avatar

sillybilly

Veteran

Windows PC

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 am
said this a few weeks ago, maybe the reason some player's not getting account's reloaded ????? maybe it's a full close down
Sniper Fury DT fd3ef9hf

“Bawbag {bɒw-bæg}/noun, disparaging form of address to describe an ignorant, obnoxious, or detestable person (esp. a man)
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm
sillybilly wrote:
said this a few weeks ago, maybe the reason some player's not getting account's reloaded ????? maybe it's a full close down

By "full close down" I'll assume you mean the entire game.

I've been wrong many times before - the way I see it: the evidence just doesn't point to SF being ended. If it was being ended why on earth would they bother continuing to pour resources into updating the software? See reference - the game is still being regularly updated:

viewtopic.php?f=2033&t=686365&p=4112214#p4112214
Player name: SnipeyMcSniperFace (was 'Snipe' temporarily in 2021) / DT: a78d2d5b (was a78d2d5) / Version: Android / Server: APA / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) & every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. I find unannounced SF changes annoying / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I do not take cosplay selfies dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)

Decker

Veteran

Windows PC

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm
Unfortunately many times when you see cash grabs (which includes increased usage of items/consumables/whatever to encourage purchases using real world money) and silly amounts of real world cash for virtual items it points towards a cut and run situation, monetise as much as possible before packing your suitcase full of notes and running for the hills.

In short - cash in then cash out!
Turns out I wasn't just old and grumpy - I was right to be p!ssed right off!
Dog Tag: f8f16c
no avatar

sillybilly

Veteran

Windows PC

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm
Does Andreea still work for this company ???, chat mod say's nope, not listed as worker, strange 1
Sniper Fury DT fd3ef9hf

“Bawbag {bɒw-bæg}/noun, disparaging form of address to describe an ignorant, obnoxious, or detestable person (esp. a man)
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 pm
sillybilly wrote:
Does Andreea still work for this company ???, chat mod say's nope, not listed as worker, strange 1

Don't know the answer to that question, but, it's not unusual that former CMs continue their interest in these forums (even if they have left the employ of Gameloft). Jullian comes to mind as an example here.

I still think we shouldn't panic here (see post above) or jump to any conclusions until we hear from our CM on this matter. For example: If forums will close in 2050, and after that be available was read only knowledge base, I'm not that worried.