no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Exotic weapon events - Spin the wheel

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:05 am
[Edit:

Summary of thread
This thread contains cumulative records of the Exotic weapon event 'Spin the Wheel' function. The records span several events starting with first exotic weapon event that included StW.

- end edit - initial message follows.]

Why this post?
Just wanted to say a tentative: Thank you Gameloft...

Why the thank you?
The spin the wheel thing seems like a good initiative on the face of it. A number of junior players I talk to seemed to be happy with this function - including the 25 rubies opportunity (which you could argue is just chance dilution - but let's stay positive here).

Why is the thank you tentative?
Personally, I'm on the fence until experience proves this as an absolute positive - noting that I'm typically not a huge fan of the spin the wheel type gambles anyway (so I'm a little biased against the concept). I want to be clear that I am generally supportive of watching videos (as long as I get a useful reward / incentive for doing so) - we have to be cognisant that this is one of Gameloft's revenue streams. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Why so many questions?
Of note: I did notice that the watch the video on the earnt packs (to get a 10 minute reduction on the timer) has disappeared - but this may just be my experience (because my cash has been a little too high of late). The new function seemed to have a couple of false starts too. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this an additional feature or a substitution?

Why is the jury out?
Assuming that the 10 minute reduction videos have gone and been replaced by this new feature: It remains to be seen if:
A. the 10 x videos per 24 hours (roughly 10 opportunities per day was my experience) yielding 100 minutes skipped or ~ 1.66 packs quicker
... is a better or worse deal than...
B. the (potential) diluted 10 (chance based) spins of the wheel possible every 24 hours (this is assumed at this point btw).

Why dilute?
Dilution seems to be the default nerf used in so many areas of SF, so it's not surprising that I think the first appearance of the wheel had less diluted content than the current wheel does - but I can't be certain because I didn't take screen pics. My consumables are maxed btw. The wheel I can see now has 10 possible items to win - comprising:
25 rubies (1)
The 5 collector parts (5)
A Supreme Pack (1)
Gold (3)**

Why not make silly assumptions?
A quick (reasonable) example....On the face of it, just say I manage to do 12 (out of the assumed possible 47 spins) per day. That's 12 opportunities to get parts (or a pack, gold or rubies). Let's be conservative and assume one third of those spins yield single collector parts and the other two thirds don't. That's still 4 parts. This (assumptive) yield is not particularly easily comparable to the yield of parts from the 10 minute speed up method - but it is a close ball park number on the face of it. I should also note that Gameloft win in this example too because I watch almost twice as many videos. (Leaving aside that I don't watch them all end to end - they are spread out). I'm also assuming 30 minutes is a consistent refresh time (noting I think I saw a 15 minute timer also) and the number of items on the wheel doesn't change each time the wheel is spun. So, a bit of random silly stuff based on unlimited 30 minute cool down timers and no limit to video availablity is not overly helpful - I confess.

Why not make excuses?
I recognise the above is not a great description and the example has huge assumptions in it, but I'm sure most will get what I'm getting at here. It's obviously not an easy apples v apples comparison either. Cut me some slack here - I'm in a bit of a rush. I'm still wondering if this is a permanent addition to the exotic weapon template? Or is it just for this event?

Why not some more thanks?
And while we're here: Other than the unknowns on this new video / spin option: I noticed that this exotic weapon event (weapon "Bullet Storm") was rolled out (so far) error free - let's hope this is a sign of things to come - because it is a welcome situation (when compared to what we have been experiencing over the past nine months or so). I'll bet someone at Gameloft is pretty happy about this too!

Delilah?
Speculating on Gameloft's motivation here (behind attracting us back to the game every 30 minutes or so for this new feature) would be interesting discussion - but I'll leave that for others to postulate over.

** Gold is in place of consumables when they are maxed. If Gold is maxed then the opportunity turns to Cash.

[First Edit: added headings
Second Edit: added summary at top of message]
Attachments
Screenshot_20200624-080204.png
Screenshot_20200624-080204.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3071 times
Player name: SnipeyMcSniperFace (was 'Snipe' temporarily in 2021) / DT: a78d2d5b (was a78d2d5) / Version: Android / Server: APA / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) & every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. I find unannounced SF changes annoying / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I do not take cosplay selfies dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: Exotic weapon event - Spin the wheel

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:14 am
And the other screen pic for the record.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200624-080103.png
See bottom centre of screen
Screenshot_20200624-080103.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 3074 times
Player name: SnipeyMcSniperFace (was 'Snipe' temporarily in 2021) / DT: a78d2d5b (was a78d2d5) / Version: Android / Server: APA / 1. ​Been playing SF since UPD6 (Aug 2016) & every day since Nov 2016 / 2. I am a Gameloft customer not employee / 3. I find unannounced SF changes annoying / 4. I value privacy so I am not on Facebook / 5. I do not take cosplay selfies dressed in latex as SF characters like Val or Daisy, etc. (no matter how cute it would be!)

GWD

Veteran

Windows PC

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am
Moot point for me. The "Watch a Video Ad" is greyed out and has never been active.

But...I haven't progressed beyond Ch. 1 and have not reinstalled the game. Not sure if those actions are necessary.
Just so GL doesn't have to ask:
Dogtag: f82cd4e, Server: EUR
Language: English
Computer: Windows 10 (updated), i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz, Alienware Aurora, DDR4 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
ATT Internet 50 MB/sec
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 pm
GWD wrote:
Moot point for me. The "Watch a Video Ad" is greyed out and has never been active.

But...I haven't progressed beyond Ch. 1 and have not reinstalled the game. Not sure if those actions are necessary.

I haven't gone past Chapter 1 Mission 4 either.
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm
SnipeyMcSniperFace wrote:
Just wanted to say a tentative: Thank you Gameloft..

[snip]

...The wheel I can see has 10 possible items to win - comprising:
25 rubies (1)
The 5 collector parts (5)
A Supreme Pack (1)
Gold (3)

[snip]

So far I've spun one Collector Muzzle, two lots of gold and one pack - see pic.

I wanted to add another positive. When you spin up a Supreme Pack it looks as though the pack goes into inventory (i.e. it doesn't force you to open the pack at the point of winning). 
Attachments
Screenshot_20200624-214907.png
Screenshot_20200624-214907.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3022 times
no avatar

sillybilly

Veteran

Windows PC

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:36 pm
would be great if it worked
but still waiting for adds to switch back on
Sniper Fury DT fd3ef9hf

“Bawbag {bɒw-bæg}/noun, disparaging form of address to describe an ignorant, obnoxious, or detestable person (esp. a man)

Sleepwalker

Veteran

Windows PC

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 pm
It would be nice if someone from GL would post here about how this supposed to work. It would have been really nice if someone from GL had posted about the change before it was made, as players have asked so many times.

On the Windows platform, I saw something similar to what Snipey mentioned: the new spin option was there, then gone, and is now back. The old watch-a-video-to-save-10-minutes is gone. But ... how frequently should we be able to spin? Is there a daily cap? Can't anyone at GL manage to communicate properly?

This morning I spun the wheel and got some gold. After that, there was a timer displayed that started counting down from 15 minutes, so of course I assumed that I could spin the wheel again in 15 minutes. Nope. After 15 minutes it just said there were no videos available to watch. I closed and reopened the game and I was able to watch a video and spin the wheel around 30 minutes after he previous spin. (If anyone is wondering, I got a Core the second time.) So after seeing that and reading the posts above, I thought maybe it is a 30-minute timer. Nope. It has been over two hours now since that second spin, and I have closed and reopened the game several times, but it still says "Sorry, no more videos to watch for now. Please come back later." 

How much later? 30 minutes? 4 hours? Tomorrow?

David Workman

Veteran

Windows PC

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm
Same issue as Sleepwalker, only managed to get 2 spin done since event started. Always show now "Sorry, no more videos to watch for now. Please come back later." Have restarted game many times.
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Sleepwalker wrote:
It would be nice if someone from GL would post here about how this supposed to work. It would have been really nice if someone from GL had posted about the change before it was made, as players have asked so many times.

viewtopic.php?f=2033&t=686365
On the Windows platform, I saw something similar to what Snipey mentioned: the new spin option was there, then gone, and is now back. The old watch-a-video-to-save-10-minutes is gone. But ... how frequently should we be able to spin? Is there a daily cap? Can't anyone at GL manage to communicate properly?

All great questions. See link above.
This morning I spun the wheel and got some gold. After that, there was a timer displayed that started counting down from 15 minutes, so of course I assumed that I could spin the wheel again in 15 minutes. Nope. After 15 minutes it just said there were no videos available to watch. I closed and reopened the game and I was able to watch a video and spin the wheel around 30 minutes after he previous spin. (If anyone is wondering, I got a Core the second time.) So after seeing that and reading the posts above, I thought maybe it is a 30-minute timer. Nope. It has been over two hours now since that second spin, and I have closed and reopened the game several times, but it still says "Sorry, no more videos to watch for now. Please come back later." 

How much later? 30 minutes? 4 hours? Tomorrow?

I took my cash down well below 2,140m and the videos seemed to perform ok at once every 30 minutes (actually once I took cash below 2,000m - into the 1,900's - then a restart it seemed to do the trick). I haven't tried this for a long period of time yet.

Of course my cash reduction may be coincidence and the normal (widely reported) intermittent video availability challenges may apply to this video / reward function as well.

[Edit: See screen pic - it's now been greyed out for a while so my cash theory might be disproved here].

[Another Edit: It's just gone midnight GMT, my daily rewards just popped up, then I checked and !voila! videos were available again - on the face of it there may be a limit to the number of videos watchable in a 24 hour period for this new function.]

Caveat: More testing required.

(This would all be so much less painful if Gameloft would simply announce / publish details of / sell the changes to the game. Don't get me started - see link above in this post).
Attachments
Screenshot_20200625-090350.png
Screenshot_20200625-090350.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2957 times
no avatar

SnipeyMcSniperFace

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

SnipeyMcSniperFace wrote:
[snip]

[Another Edit: It's just gone midnight GMT, my daily rewards just popped up, then I checked and !voila! videos were available again - on the face of it there may be a limit to the number of videos watchable in a 24 hour period for this new function.]

Caveat: More testing required.

(This would all be so much less painful if Gameloft would simply announce / publish details of / sell the changes to the game. Don't get me started - see link above in this post).

Re: "More testing required"

Introduction
This post was added to progressively to include data as it became available. The purpose was to capture a record of this new function. If anyone wants more details please feel free to ask.

Brief
In no relevant order:
Android version of the game
SE Asia region
Days reset at 0000hrs GMT

Spins / videos per day
Variable number of videos watched per day
Variable spins of the wheel per day 
Maximum: 8 per day
Minimum: 7 per day

Cool down timer duration
Cool down durations after each spin (either / and/or):
a. 15 minutes
b. 5 minutes
No option to skip the timers

The "measurement period"
Day 1: Commenced GMT 0001 hrs Thursday June 25, 2020
Day 8: Finished GMT 0345 Thursday July 2, 2020 (same day as the event finished)

Yields (Day : No. of spins : drop order)
Day 1: 8:  Gold, Muzzle, Supreme Pack, Scope, Electronics, Supreme Pack, Gold, Electronics.
Day 2: 8: Gold, Clip, Muzzle, Supreme Pack, Gold, Gold, Supreme Pack, Clip
[Day 3: 8: Electronics, Clip, Rubies, Gold, Supreme Pack, Supreme Pack, Muzzle, (Supreme Pack*), Gold
Day 4: 8: Gold, Gold, Muzzle, Scope, Supreme Pack, Supreme Pack, Gold, Clip
Day 5: 7: Gold, Clip, Gold, Rubies, Scope, Clip, Muzzle,
Day 6: 8: Electronics, Supreme Pack, Gold, Supreme Pack, Electronics, Electronics, Supreme Pack, Gold
Day 7: 8: Clip, Gold, Clip, Gold, Gold, Clip, Supreme Pack, Gold
Day 8: 8: Gold, Gold, Clip, Supreme Pack, Gold, Rubies, Plasma Core, Rubies

Yield / drop summary
Total of 63 spins (Note: % rounded)
21 x Gold (TBA in final message%)
13 x Supreme Packs (TBA%)
10 x Clip (TBA%)
6 x Electronics (TBA%)
5 x Muzzle (TBA%)
4 x Rubies (TBA%)
3 x Scope ( %)
1 x Plasma core (0%)

Observations / notes
1. Similar to other parts of the game where there are video watching opportunities, when you go back into the game (it reconnects) it does take a few minutes before the videos are available. Also similar is that if the gold vault is maxed then cash drops instead. When cash and gold are maxed the reward changes to raid tickets.
2. The order of items (on the spinning wheel) is not fixed. Each time I went back in it appeared as though the order had been shuffled.
3. No sign of a 30 minute timer again (although I did see one a few days back) - see above in this thread.
4. Gameloft may have made some adjustments to this function - might explain why we saw it, then it disappeared and then appeared again circa June 24, 2020 with some changes to the possibilities on the wheel and the cool down timer also.
5. The "measurement period" commencement was chosen arbitrarily - had to have a line in the sand to start from.
6. There is a cool down timer that displays after I have completed the 8th spin also (leaving me thinking that it's counting down to another video opportunity) but the video button stays greyed out after the timer expires.
7. On Saturday June 27, 2020 a change occurred such that the first two cooldown timers were 15 minutes and every cooldown timer after that was 5 minutes. On Monday June 29, 2020 I noted that the cooldown timers varied from 5 to 15 minutes.
8. Weapon upgrades were made as possible, but: Progress through the event was only up to Chapter 1 - Mission 4 until 1000 GMT June 30, 2020 (when Chapter 9 opened) then I commenced "playing through" to complete the event.

* this Supreme Pack did not go into inventory and another chance to spin the wheel came up immediately (no cooldown timer) after it - which yielded gold. This looks, on the face of it, to be the de ja vue bug (like so many other things in the game) you do something then it's like you never did it in the first place and it has to be done again. This Supreme Pack was not added to the yield summary section.

Updates
This post was updated whilst the current event was live. Post last updated: 0350 GMT Thursday July 2, 2020
Attachments
Screenshot_20200625-101730.png
Screenshot_20200625-101730.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2954 times