Something is not right? You have a suggestion to make? Let us know right here, right now!
no avatar

Iliamna

MVP

Amazon Mobile (Kindle)

Alaska

A Forum Area for General Chat?

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:18 am
I was thinking it would be neat to have an area devoted to general chatting, topics that aren't DML related. I'd love to talk about dogs, or other off-topics, but wouldn't want to do that in this part of the forum.

I see that "News and Announcements" is not being used. Could that be made into a general chat forum?

Would any others here find a general chat area fun? You could post Happy Birthday threads, or talk about things going on in your area.  You could grumble about your refrigerator dying and all the food going bad, and others could post about their appliance disasters ..LOL! It could be fun!

What do you think?

Melanie in Alaska
Joined DML the first week of March 2019
At last count: 605+ unique dragons!
Leader of the ANTI-VIKING CLAN

Love the Dragons, hate the tedious wait times!

Emkl74

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: A Forum Area for General Chat?

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
I think it's a good idea, Melanie.
This wish was also expressed in my Facebook group. Just have a chat. With people you often only know from reading. But with whom you might want to share one or two things outside of DML. And not via "annoying" emails.
Leader WächterderZeit, Facebookgroup DML-EMKL

LadyDraco

MVP

Windows PC

Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:09 pm
Awesome Idea  !!
Leader  of  WolfPack
I go by LD  there.. 
684 Happy Dragons on Islands
Always  looking for  active  ADULT players.
my code: aaa82c 
I always  gift ,at least every day .

Hakaru

Google Play (Android)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:12 pm
They barely have time to moderate game related content so i doubt they'll open a forum part for irl related topics.
And to be honest i would find weird to see an official game forum with people sharing personnal things to random people all over the world.

If you really want to chat about random things, facebook, discord and other medias are way better than the forum structure and it would also require a mod, not as easy at it seems.
Level 160
Platform/Server : Android/Eur
681 unique dragons
Main team members lvl 100 8*: Ra, Fall, Autumn, Taiyi Zhenren, Momo'tu
Who's next team member ? Is it a divine, a legendary or an ancient ?
Is it for classic fights or for the dungeon ?

Collection wish list : Heimdall, Ultimate Chronos, Freyja, Zephujin, Koth'ez, Death Knight
no avatar

Iliamna

MVP

Amazon Mobile (Kindle)

Alaska

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:41 pm
It's interesting to me that you would find it weird to see a general chat area on a gaming forum. Everywhere else I've gamed over the last 20+ years, that had a forum, also included an area for general chat topics. In fact, of all the many various-topic forums I've been on, I can't remember a single one that didn't have a general chat area. I've always found it odd that this one didn't.

They already have the area set up to use, so they must have planned on having several areas monitored. For a general chat area, they could even utilize volunteers to help moderate it. I've been a moderator on other forums and would be glad to volunteer. They already have the bad words censored, and people here generally act polite.  I think that the forum would mostly be full of people who already come to the DML forum.

There would need to be an announcement of what the forum was meant for, and a reminder that topics should be appropriate for all ages. I would also suggest banning politics and religion, as I've found that those are often hope topics, and people have strong emotional reactions that would be inappropriate for the forum.

I've been thinking about this for awhile. Occasionally I see off-topic discussions in here, and a place set aside for those would free up this forum to be dedicated to DML. The media sites you mentioned are not familiar to me (other than Facebook, which I dislike). I only come to this forum, and would like to get to know some of the players I see in here. I think we should at least give it a try.

Thanks for bringing up these concerns, though. It's good to consider all sides.

Emkl74 and LadyDraco - glad to see you interested. You are some of the people I've thought it would be fun to chat with!

Melanie in Alaska
Joined DML the first week of March 2019
At last count: 605+ unique dragons!
Leader of the ANTI-VIKING CLAN

Love the Dragons, hate the tedious wait times!

Adam From Gameloft

Community Manager

Google Play (Android)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:28 pm
Certainly something we can consider Melanie, I know there is the Crazy Train thread that has kind of fulfilled that purpose to a limited degree though I don't know to what extent it was originally intended that way. I also agree with you that most games forums tend to have such a place, allowing the community to get to know each other a little better outside of the Very Serious chat about the game in question.

Let's say this: if there's enough interest, I'll switch the News and Discussions board to a more General Chat board and you guys can have your fun talking about dogs, you favorite sweater or the average flight speed of unladen swallows until your heart's content. All I ask is that we have at least two volunteers willing and able to take on the mantle of moderators for that board - one each to cover both night and day CET. I will happily step in from time to time to say hi, but I wouldn't want to add it to my list of tasks (cause otherwise I'd just end up resenting it! 😂). If you're happy to accept my selfish conditions, then I'm happy to give you guys a space to chat about things other than dragons - cause I hear that there are in fact other things to talk about! 😱

Emkl74

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:51 pm
WOW, Adam.

You wouldn't believe how excited I was to see your reaction. It almost bordered on heart palpitations. 
You made me laugh heartily with the swallows, quite an exciting question. 
I would make myself available in a heartbeat if I didn't have to work. It should probably also be someone who speaks more English than I do. 
Even if we are now all to be banished completely to the home office here in gloomy Germany, I have to work. 
I wonder how a bricklayer does it, but well, that's not the issue at the moment...
Leader WächterderZeit, Facebookgroup DML-EMKL

Airbender1505

Google Play (Android)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:01 pm
I don't think this is a particularly good idea, there are just many "issues" with it.
Not only other social media sites are more user friendly(in features) than Forum, but (not to be rude) Forum lack enough active members to make such a page worth creating, not to mention the additional duty of moderating it!

And imo, Forum doesn't need one such page, I know almost all of the members here are connected to each other with some sort of social media account, so what is the use of creating a place for chit-chats?
I like forum the way it is, a reliable source of official information and announcement.
but as Adam said, let's wait to hear what other community members have to say about this.
Silver_Wings
Fanart Club
Dragon Trainer since July 2017 
671 dragons collected so far <3
Fav Dragons : Hermes, Gemini Twins, Zodiac, Ice Feather, (all future wind ancient dragons lol) 

ChoopTwisk

Amazon Mobile (Kindle)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm
Good idea, +1

Adam From Gameloft

Community Manager

Google Play (Android)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:28 pm
Yes Airbender1505, the idea would be to wait to see if there's a sizeable response. Since it would be a separate part of the forum, you would be free to ignore that area of the forum if you didn't see any value in it. And if it did become more of a nuisance than a boon then I would most likely switch it back (or more likely remove it entirely since as pointed out, I'm not making much use of the News and Announcements section). I'm in a lucky position to have a number of people on this forum that would reach out to me if they felt something or someone was not being handled properly on the forum and I can make adjustments accordingly.

I agree that there are better platforms for such general chat, but those are more immediate than something like a forum. If I know the community here well (and I suppose it is my job to), there are a number here who enjoy the specific nature of the forum: log on, see what's new, have a read, share your thoughts, and leave. Forums may be old school and out of date (quite like me!), but I think some forum users enjoy it in the same way someone might enjoy a magazine, or reading the latest news about fly fishing, or endlessly scrolling through Twitter feeds and TikTok dances. It's something to do, a way of taking a break, and having a space to do that without all the serious talk about dragons... well, I get it.

But as I say, I have to see there being enough interest in such an idea before I make such a change.