Something is not right? You have a suggestion to make? Let us know right here, right now!

ogreve

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Netherlands

Re: Why Did You Start Playing DML?

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 pm
My daughter is totally to blame for all of this! 
...and not for the first time! 

She used to really like to install and play new games on my phone or on the ipad, play them a while and then move on to a different game. 
With this type of game though, she'd be all enthusiastic about it and play it a LOT ...
...in the early, easy (!), stages.
As soon as the going gets more tough in these games, she'd call in reinforcements (yours truly) for "helping her game". Well...
In succession, she pulled that trick on me with:
1-Monster's Life (DML's direct predecessor - ask your Budapest buddies about it and perhaps you could even get them to make an iOS 12 build of it ;)
2-Fantasy Forest Story (by Storm8)
3-DML

...the thing is... once she has me doing what she asks, I like to get REALLY good at it!
So.
Monster's Life was maxed out (and sadly is no longer available - I miss my monsters :( ), FFS was maxed out (until I finally completely quit that about 1.5 years ago) and DML? Well... 520 unique dragons later, I have that game on top level too.

I got the 4-years badge on May 4th this year, so it must have been May 4th 2015 when she installed it. She played it at times and didn't start to call in my help until about mid December 2015 (I remember I started with it when a Christmas solo event started that gave Frostbite and I think that ugly green Santa dragon, which I missed then and still don't have). I started playing it fanatically (and coming here too) in January 2016, and well, the rest is known to those who've been here longer than I have (like the CTG). ;)

As for my daughter? Once "her" game(s) started to get strong, she'd lose interest in playing herself (as progress then comes very slowly) and I then just took over and continued playing these games.

-O.
Proud and so glorious, standing before of us.
Our swords will shine bright in the sky.
When united we come, to the land of the sun.
With the heart of a dragon we ride!

Very proud Wahóóóóó clan leader!
Let those Wolves' and Does' wahooooooooooos sound in all forests around the globe! 
Fighters (all at 100/8*): Lantern, Pixie, Pixel, Autumn, Love, Crystal, Chang'e, Zeus, Aphrodite, Erlang Shen, Narwhale, Snow Queen. Hathor (100/7* - due to dungeon limitation).
Now raising: Chrono Seth and Chrono Aphrodite: 40.

Carol M

Veteran

Windows PC

Dublin, Ireland

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 pm
Like Ogreve, it was my daughter who started me - but the reason was different, she knew I loved dragons and I hated games with humans in them - DML was perfect.  

In the beginning I just did the breeding and she did the battling until I learnt how to do them.  Then I discovered the forum, on St. Patrick's Day of all days!  

After a couple (hahahah!) of heated conversation/discussions about various game aspects and an update that was..well...contraversial - and some wonderful lunatics who encouraged me, I started the Crazy Train thread and that ran, with it's weirdness and fun, for quite a long time, with a massive amount of 'passengers'.  It comes out of storage on occasions for a bit more fun.

Like many of our long term players, I'm a bit nuts and suffer from a long term illness.  I'm very possessive of my game, my dragons and can get a tad irked when I think Gameloft are going in the wrong direction (slight exaggeration there 😈 [the 'tad' bit]).

I've made some wonderful friends through the game who 'get' me and I can talk to about everything, without whom I do think I'd be lost.  They and their irreverent support have been a life saver - sometimes literally.

I think Idoine and myself are now the longest players here on the Forum.  Our small gang is precious to me, each member making up the whole and each contributing equally in their own unique way.

So Gameloft had better keep this game going for many more years, or there'll be trouble 👿
Zeus, Plushie, Sumo, Vortex, Pixel, Briar, Lantern, Autumn, Firestorm, Warlord, Archangel, Pixie, Reindeer, Crystal, Guardian.  558 unique dragons.
Started 11th January 2015

And they said I wouldn't last - snerk

Proud Leader of the Crazy Train Gang
Also known as 'Your Majesty' p)

Kairy

Google Play (Android)

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 pm
A Youtuber I was watching was sponsored by a game called "Dragon City" a little over a month ago. Since it looked and sounded interesting, I checked it out...and realized within the first hour of playing that it was 100% pay to win, so I went looking for a similar game and came across this.

While I still feel DML is high on the "pay to win" scale, I'm able to enjoy the more relaxed aspects of it and trying to get the DotW.
Recruitment Code (Android EUR):  9ace0cb
no avatar

tigershark

Google Play (Android)

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:06 pm
My granddaughter was playing on her dad's phone. She said, "Look Nana....I'm playing a dragon game." That was 4+ years ago. She quit playing, and I started. She recently started playing again on her own phone.

It took a while to join the forum, but I'm still here like many others.

Bazylka

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 am
My sister has been playing this game before me, and used to show off her new dragons to me every time she would get some.
So eventually I installed it too. We play together now and talk about what we get and breed and such. If I don't get a dragon at least I get cheered up when she gets it.

I don't remember how she found that game, but I think she also had the original Dragon Mania before this one and then moved on when a new version came out. She had several  DML games across the years and started and quitted them, but now she sticks to the last one for around a year and now I'm here for almost a year too.

Adam From Gameloft

Community Manager

Google Play (Android)

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 am
This is really nice to hear all your stories, this was a good thread idea! :)

Just a quick point on Bazyika's post: since starting at Gameloft, I told my sister what game I'd be working on - she had never played it and downloaded it to see what it was like. She also likes games, we played many together growing up, but now she's also a devoted Dragon Lord - and we're messaging each other practically daily to update each other on dragons bred or progress in events :)

Of10na

Apple (iOS)

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:11 am
I have been playing for just over 2 years. I can’t remember how I found it I just know I was away interstate on my own for family reasons and went looking for something to play in my motel room. Since then I haven’t missed a day and have enjoyed the game.

I don’t really like strategy games, I love the breeding and collecting aspect of this game. I have never had a game keep my attention for so long before. Because I enjoy it, I am a bit of a pay to play type player. I don’t spend a huge amount but more than I would have ever expected to for a game. 

I have really enjoyed following the forum and the wiki was my bible at the beginning of the game.
Recruitment Code: 28a970
Clan: My Casey
Platform: IOS APA
Gameloft Player ID: 40c192

johnna1975

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:26 am
I was playing Ice Age and got the the teaser for DML on a regular basis but never bothered to open it because it seemed like a childrens game and I couldnt imagine there could be anything interesting or challenging in it.
Only after I got really bored with Ice Age I finally gave it a chance and I was very surprised how appealing the game is.
The trailer really gave me the wrong impression :-)
YoniHaimovich/ b0248f/ 5. 11.2015/ 571 unique dragons/  Zeus, Plushie, Gentelman, Polar Bear all 90 4*/ ID: d2460h
Yoni Sleepovich/ 60b8a2/ 30.5.2016/ 568 unique dragons/ Torch, Hades, Posh, Springtime all 90 4*/ Id: 82d0c4
Crumbley 80 7*
Level 160 Proud Leader of DMD and DMD2
Both Android Eur

Twilightsparklesassistant

Windows PC

Scotland

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:32 pm
I was playing another dragon game & loved it. Did this for two years before the game as good as died on me, on all of us who played actually. The developers of that one simply stopped investing in it. And now there are no fights or anything in that game, just a few random dragon rewards. Around the time it died I went looking for another dragon game & found this one. I took a friend from the old game's guild across too & now we're both in the same clan here!!! And there are a few differences I know, but it's still collecting dragons & raising them to fight in battles yaiy!!!
1f851a is my DML friendship code. Feel free to add I gift every day & help where I can

ChalkyGnat68

Windows PC

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:14 pm
After playing some other games, one day I decided it would be great to find one about dragons, so I started looking and found DML.  I loved the graphics and decided to install it.  I remember I enjoyed the easy going self timers to play it since, at that time I was working all day long.  It allowed me not only to breed, collect and pet dragons (which I love), but to play in my free time without worrying to lose opportunities for having new dragons on my islands.  True it was a slow advance, but there were always things to do.  Fighting was not the best part for me, but it was clear, at that time, that as you leveled up your dragons, things were going to get easier.  It was meant to be a relax game for my free time.  
At first I thought it was a children game, and I was really surprised when I found out there were many adults, like me, playing it.  Though I've always tried to read the forum, it wasn't since the first divine event I register in it.
It was a really great surprise when I got my 4 year badge on January 22nd, never thought I found and started playing it one week after it was launched...  It still amazes me I've been playing almost every day for so long...