Speak about anything related to Asphalt 8!
no avatar

drhunziksv

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: arena

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 am
"Arena is ingame corresponding title for gauntlet in italian version."

really? ok , Im italian but I play in english so i didnt know that
its weird because in the german version the translation is literally "guanto da sfida", that is "gauntlet"
"Arena" has nothing to do with "gauntlet", in the literal sense.
sorry for the ultra-nitpicking ;)

HappyGamer74

Windows PC

Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:58 am
Arena is supposed to be a little bloodier :o .
It should have been a correct name for showdown actually.
Didn't evr got the importance of firm until now:
https://asphalt8.freeforums.net/

Nat B

Windows PC

Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:43 am
Funny, I switched language settings to Russian and guess what? Just like in Italian version — Arena.

Die Kampfbahn is the only thing I can vaguely suggest as a link to Arena.

They probably should have picked Tournament instead of Gauntlet. At least Italian and Russian translators could have avoided the need to rack their brains for inspiration.
Attachments
Arena.jpg
Arena.jpg (538.82 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Von zwei Narren hält der größere den kleineren für den größeren.
Emil Gött

HappyGamer74

Windows PC

Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:43 pm
drhunziksv wrote:
"Arena is ingame corresponding title for gauntlet in italian version."

really? ok , Im italian but I play in english so i didnt know that
its weird because in the german version the translation is literally "guanto da sfida", that is "gauntlet"
"Arena" has nothing to do with "gauntlet", in the literal sense.
sorry for the ultra-nitpicking ;)

Coming from you it sounded to me like a sweeet hug of love  a)  as if it would have come
from oldman, nautilus, Harry K, Neil or any other bro.
I switched to english version exactly after gauntlet (arena) come to "town",
just to avoid to be lost in translation about in-game technicals
(as far as by now I barely remember that italian for "barrel roll" is "avvitamento" to tell you only one of them).
see you on the tracks. p)

HappyGamer74

Windows PC

Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:47 pm
Nat B wrote:
Funny, I switched language settings to Russian and guess what? Just like in Italian version — Arena.

They probably should have picked Tournament instead of Gauntlet. At least Italian and Russian translators could have avoided the need to rack their brains for inspiration.

Infact; arena sounds more like roman history rather than medieval: lot of gladiators thrown together in same place and beating one another in various ways.
In this case correct word for "showdown" could have been "mess"  8-) .
no avatar

simplyjens

Windows PC

Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 am
HappyGamer74 wrote:
Arena is supposed to be a little bloodier :o .
It should have been a correct name for showdown actually.

Arena - I am thinking swimwear :)  oh those cultural biases ...

Nat B

Windows PC

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:03 pm
HappyGamer74 wrote:
Nat B wrote:

Infact; arena sounds more like roman history rather than medieval: lot of gladiators thrown together in same place and beating one another in various ways.
In this case correct word for "showdown" could have been "mess"  8-) .

Well yes and no. We are a product of our environment (that fact is not always sad but it’s always true). Active influencers such as governments and media put a huge effort to steer our way of thinking. Passive influencers put zero effort to change us but (luckily) are often more effective than the active ones in having impact on our perception, thinking and understanding: languages, countries, landscapes, places, architecture etc.

For (at least) 1,300 Italians Arena would most likely sound as a name of their commune. A Croatian living in Pula would highly likely think about Pula Arena — a Roman amphitheatre. A German football fan in Wolfsburg would most likely have an image of Volkswagen-Arena. Apropos, plenty stadiums all over the world have the word Arena attached to their names. For me arena is mostly linked to a circus.

England, France, Germany, Spain (countries are given by me in alphabetical order) and perhaps some other cultures have a long chivalry history and citizens of those countries would certainly be able to recall more images related to arena than me with “my” circus.

So arena may sound pretty much like Roman history but not everyone would or should distinctively hear that sound. How many times a day we hear and use words like politic, politician, democracy, economy … (a complete list would be tooooooo long) and give a passing thankful thought to Ancient Greece? (Ευχαριστώ nks71; you are not ancient though but it’s OK with me) :)

Anyhow I am still surprised that Italy and Russia have chosen Arena; surprised by their unity. I checked the Turkish version and it is Düello (nice one).

And last but not least I have tried to find some alternative terms in English (just out of curiosity). Here they are:

Jousting arena, jousting pitch, the tiltyard, the lists, or list field [“the arena where a jousting event was held. More precisely, it was the roped-off enclosure where tournament fighting took place”].

Anyhow, East or West safety is above all; whatever it is called ؅— Gauntlet or Arena — don’t drive too fast, be careful; it’s skiddy out there.

Peace
Von zwei Narren hält der größere den kleineren für den größeren.
Emil Gött
no avatar

nks71

Veteran

Windows Phone

Greece

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:38 pm
@Nat B :-D
No Greek is ancient nowadays but all Greeks feel ancient inside! ;D

HappyGamer74

Windows PC