Speak about anything related to Asphalt 8!

Harry K

Veteran

Windows Phone

oldman65 wrote:
@Harry K, I agree on the core code error point. I hope that my latest hypothesis is wrong, but I fear that they have merged some of the A8 and A9 code and it has caused these issues. This would limit their ability to modify the base code. And would explain why they seem to be trying to patch the cars one-by-one. I fear there will never be a fix for this issue and that we will be left with a mixed batch of poorly handling cars subject to random glitches. 😞

Building on shared code makes sense, lots of programs do it. But I've never really played A9 so can't comment.

But remember, the A8 skidding issue predates A9.
So long, and thanks for all the fish. New, independent A8 forum - https://asphalt8.freeforums.net/

loriel_s

Apple TV (iOS)

South Australia

So yesterday I pulled Apollo IE from the garage and tried it in MP. The first couple of races were fine. Then I was in River Fort and I was just about to tackle a Jesko and it swerved to the side. I can't begin to tell you how depressed I am about this because I bust a gut to win it in 2018 and then the issues started in March 2020 and then earlier this year, my ticket was removed.
I am going to raise another ticket (for what its worth) and get some more proof. We can't just let this issue slide (pardon the pun).

oldman65

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Harry K wrote:
oldman65 wrote:
@Harry K, I agree on the core code error point. I hope that my latest hypothesis is wrong, but I fear that they have merged some of the A8 and A9 code and it has caused these issues. This would limit their ability to modify the base code. And would explain why they seem to be trying to patch the cars one-by-one. I fear there will never be a fix for this issue and that we will be left with a mixed batch of poorly handling cars subject to random glitches. 😞

Building on shared code makes sense, lots of programs do it. But I've never really played A9 so can't comment.

But remember, the A8 skidding issue predates A9.

Yeah, but the first round of skidding issues was truly fixed. I now suspect that the origins of this current round is a common code base issue. I believe that is why they can't fix it: as, they did last time. Now they seem to be stuck trying to patch the worst affected vehicles. It's a fools errand imho.  They need to just revert the code to the 2018 end of year version or find some method to port every car over to the A9 physics engine. (I haven't played A9, but I can't believe it has any of these issues.)

- out of control skidding
- hopping or exploding in the middle of the track
- incomplete flat spins and barrel rolls
- vehicles turning sideways and/or upside down during a flat spin.

What they have now is very flawed. Wish they could fix it, but I'm not sure they can any longer without drastic changes that I don't believe they will make.
Car I most want added to A8:
       1991 MAZDA 787B
Moving to new forum: https://asphalt8.freeforums.net/

oldman65

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

loriel_s wrote:
So yesterday I pulled Apollo IE from the garage and tried it in MP. The first couple of races were fine. Then I was in River Fort and I was just about to tackle a Jesko and it swerved to the side. I can't begin to tell you how depressed I am about this because I bust a gut to win it in 2018 and then the issues started in March 2020 and then earlier this year, my ticket was removed.
I am going to raise another ticket (for what its worth) and get some more proof. We can't just let this issue slide (pardon the pun).

I feel for you. I wish with all my heart that they would fix this. I'm just convinced more and more as the days pass that they cannot. 😞
       1991 MAZDA 787B
no avatar

Running Bird

Expert Racer

Apple (iOS)

oldman65 wrote:

FYI, A9 has…

- no skidding (a little oversteer at most, but never enough to cause problems)
- no exploding, but a lot of bouncing, depending on car (most annoying in S class)
- plenty of incomplete flat spins and barrel rolls (gut feeling: more of those than in A8)
- plenty of weird spin/roll combos (in our club, we like to brag about surviving back flips and front flips)

Long story short, the main difference is that A9 cars don't skid/spin out the way A8 cars do. That neither proves nor disproves the shared code theory, though, because there may be additional factors along the lines of: combine aspects of A9 physics with aspects of A8 physics, and the car skids, because a correcting factor from A9 is missing.

oldman65

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Running Bird wrote:
oldman65 wrote:

FYI, A9 has…

- no skidding (a little oversteer at most, but never enough to cause problems)
- no exploding, but a lot of bouncing, depending on car (most annoying in S class)
- plenty of incomplete flat spins and barrel rolls (gut feeling: more of those than in A8)
- plenty of weird spin/roll combos (in our club, we like to brag about surviving back flips and front flips)

Long story short, the main difference is that A9 cars don't skid/spin out the way A8 cars do. That neither proves nor disproves the shared code theory, though, because there may be additional factors along the lines of: combine aspects of A9 physics with aspects of A8 physics, and the car skids, because a correcting factor from A9 is missing.

K thanks for the info. I guess GL just can't fix this then. It's just so disappointing. That fixed 2018 code base was great. Can't understand what possessed them to change it. Dad really. 😔
       1991 MAZDA 787B

LT43

Windows PC

My AIE spun out yesterday, which it usually doesn't do. I was on Azure Coast in Gauntlet, just passed the rocks on the final turn, did a tripple tap following a quick drift turn as I was just barely ahead, then it just spun around and stopped sideways, cost me the race. Errrr!   :x
ALERT: This forum is closing soon.  The new A8 independent forum is here: https://asphalt8.freeforums.net
Go sign up now!!

oldman65

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Pretty much every day I lose control of a car at some point through no fault of my own. This issue continues and will likely continue, perhaps until they shutdown the game. We will of course continue to ask for a fix, but eventually, we just have to consider whether the fun still outshines the frustration. Each person will have to make that evaluation for themselves. I’m still hanging out having more fun than frustration, but the end of my time with the game draws closer the longer they let this issue fester.
       1991 MAZDA 787B

LT43

Windows PC

I think the greater fun is with the lower leagues. Gauntlet Pro league is more relaxed and the speeds are more forgiving. There is one spot where my Silver Lightning wants to skid, but it is recoverable and avoidable. But Gauntlet Elite league is mostly just stressful, and a small skd, even if not severe, can result in a lost race. It isn't as much fun. Perhaps S-class ST racing could be interesting, though for many it would probably be overwhelming, which is likely why they keep it in D class.
ALERT: This forum is closing soon.  The new A8 independent forum is here: https://asphalt8.freeforums.net
Go sign up now!!

Danger Mouse

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

I don't think they can fix it easily... reverting the code base will break things like gravity.

IIRC there were four things that caused bad handling:

1. The nerf of the McLaren 675LT when they introduced the P1 GTR was the first signal that GL had the intent, they reverted this an update or so later.
2. The introduction of F1 cars required them to adapt the physics and that screwed with other cars, mostly non-F1 McLarens as well.
3. Luna tracks and introduction of gravity changed almost every car on every track with a whole bunch of unintended consequences.
4. The introduction of the Terra tracks lost more ground that had been made up since the Luna tracks were introduced, I suspect for the same reasons.
5. Introduction of bikes? I can't remember if that also coincided with handling issues (for cars).

I believe the physics engine has been stretched past breaking point but there are now too many tracks/vehicles that rely on the broken engine that they can't go back and, the approach they're taking at the moment suggests they can't see a path forward.

Well, that's my theory anyway. My Cent' skidded out and wrecked in the cave on Avalanche Ally the other day, that was a first.
Gameloft: No pride, no shame, no accountability, no care. Thanks for treating your customers with contempt.

Join the new A8 forum: https://asphalt8.freeforums.net/