Speak about anything related to Asphalt 8!

audiorapture

MVP

Apple (iOS)

IOS

Game Progress Expectation Adjustment

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm
I had numerous conversations with other players and the CMs, and it /seems/ that GL is radically adjusting how players are supposed to progress through the game. This started long ago, and hit a point of no return with the Fast Lane Update (FLU).

In the past, dedicated players were able to get all new cars, and max/pro them if that's what they wanted. It was a badge of achievement to get all cars in a new release, and max/pro them. It took new players months if not years to catch up, but it was possible.

Now, it seems GL completely moved away from this collector model. You may only be able to get some (or none) of the new cars in a new release, even if you are a long-time veteran with accumulated resources. You might be able to max/pro the car(s) you do get. You might not (especially if you are a casual player) - even if you throw money at this "problem".
It all seems to be about introducing new modes, new tracks, new cars, and participating, but not about winning or completing anything.

Personally, I detest events that dangle a prize that is un-achievable. Unfortunately, this seems to be a current trend - hook players and frustrate them into spending money. Must be working?

So, here's a list of expectations for both newbies and veterans:
  1. You will not be able to "complete" the game. You might be able to complete aspects of it, but not the entire game. Not anymore.
  2. Do not expect to "win" cars in special events. You might be able to buy them. If you do buy them, do not expect to fully upgrade them. You might be able to buy that, too.
  3. Do not expect to complete special events. You might be able to buy your way through.
  4. Do not expect to win top rewards in time-limited events (TLE). Only the upper 0.1% (or cheaters) will.
  5. Do expect that GL will make changes you will not like. At all. With each update.
  6. You only need a handful of cars to compete. It will take a long time to get them. You might be able to buy some.
  7. If you want to compete: pay attention to the leaderboards for the cars that are on top. Save up in-game resources for those. Before getting one, check whether it's still the best car to get.
  8. If you want to get top rewards in multi-player (MP): get into a boosting group, or try to luck out with a car/skill combo that gets you to Elite league by yourself. Warning: it's a massive time-commitment either way.

Curiously, I still enjoy many parts of the game. The one thing that was very hard to give up was being a collector, though.

Tl;dr: Expectations can lead to disappointment.
IOS friending requires Facebook, send me a private message to link up
The FLU ate my stats.
Support Info: IOS, Player ID 6hde | Signature Update: May 29, 2019

fkw123

Google Play (Android)

Re: Game Progress Expectation Adjustment

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 pm
reality are often disappointing ,hmm i play from 2017 ever since.. does that makes me a veteran player or still consider newbie?

perhaps somewhere in between then.?

ash1

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:31 pm
I'm still hoping to get at least 1 car per update and fully upgrade. Guess I just need to choose wisely...
Cars owned: 208
Racing name: Wuxifingerhold6

twentyeggs

Apple (iOS)

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 am
Agreed giving up the collector aspect has been the hardest pill to swallow. Even still I’ve only passed up a few cars so far, the first car I ever willingly let go was the Cento. Twice now, I’ve complete the event, even raced the final AI until I was ahead but paused, quit, and let the event time out. It wasn’t because the car was too expensive to upgrade to a passing tune, but rather it is useless unless max pro and until now the MPI engines were unavailable. I may complete it the next time around. Other cars included the Zeus, which I won for free in the world tournament, a couple mid level collectors like the vantage, and the last car the Regera.

I will need to disagree with the TLE comment. It’s actually pretty rare that I do not collect all top prizes. Except for races where there is a top 25 like Show Down races (ain’t nobody got time for that) I get 1% and top 10 in practically every daily and weekly TLE. Of course, this without cheating/hacking.

For me the TLEs are the most important aspect of the game. The part, engine, and random tech boxes, as well as the 215 tokens guaranteed each week has been the only way I’ve been able to scrape by so far. With the box ads I was getting a mid or AT every day, in fact the last 2 week I went on am 11 days AT streak twice getting an AT from the card and the ad for 2 that day. I am convinced the drop rate changed during the mini update. Losing singe box ads is going to be a major set back.. 
________________________________________________________________________________

audiorapture

MVP

Apple (iOS)

IOS

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 am
twentyeggs wrote:
I will need to disagree with the TLE comment. It’s actually pretty rare that I do not collect all top prizes. Except for races where there is a top 25 like Show Down races (ain’t nobody got time for that) I get 1% and top 10 in practically every daily and weekly TLE. Of course, this without cheating/hacking.

You do realize you just outed yourself as the top 0.1%, yes?! :D
The FLU ate my stats.

Timmr

Windows PC

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:37 am
audiorapture wrote:
Curiously, I still enjoy many parts of the game. The one thing that was very hard to give up was being a collector, though.

Tl;dr: Expectations can lead to disappointment.

An accurate summary of what most players have been thinking, feeling and saying for some time.

Moreover, an indication of the root cause of the vitriol and contempt expressed by players in this forum - a big difference in expectation of the players based on past and current experience with the game and the intentions of Gameloft. This difference is leading to the disappointment of many new and long term players.

The more basic theme to this summary is: It is virtually impossible, to complete, compete and win events (time limited, special or multi player) without spending money - probably large amounts of money. Time and effort is almost irrelevent to your success. Of course there is always cheating....

I wonder why Gameloft and the community managers have been reluctant to express their intentions and strategy for the game in a such a clear manner ?. Probaly because it would have a significant and negative impact on their ability to attract any new players, maintain existing players, and their revenue/profitability - kiling the golden goose. Curious, they seem intent on killing this goose in favour of Asphalt 9 anyway; why not just pull the trigger ?.

I wonder if Gameloft is being fair or offering truth in advertising (at least the full truth) on the Microsoft , Apple and other stores ?. At what point are they being deceptive ?. I guess it is truely a "Caveat Emptor" situation - buyer beware. Maybe Apple and Microsoft should take a look at this.....

Given Asphalt 8 (probably Asphalt 9) is now going to be a pay to play or perhaps more accurately pay to win/succeed, these games will only survive and continue in the mid & long term, if they find the right and fair price level for the resources needed to complete, compete and win. So far their record is not good.....

I am at loss to find reasons why someone would start this game given this summary. I am at a loss to find enough reasons for an existing player to continue playing this game given this summary. I am at a loss to find a reason why anyone would spend any money on this game given this summary.

Am curious which parts of the game you still enjoy such that you are still willing to give your time and loyalty to Gameloft and Asphalt 8 ?. As opoosed to looking for similar or other alternatives for your entertainment needs. 

It would appear that I will have to finally accept reality. One which I have known for some time, but have been avoiding. One which is clearly defined in this summary. One which is confirmed (according to you) by Gameloft itself. It is time to leave Asphalt 8.
"I don't need any Vulcan or Apollo while I have my Dodge Dart !!!"

NoobDriver

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:43 am
Agree with many points there @ar.... But a true collector will never give up so easily :D

Let's get back to basic..this is a game...GL's game....they could modify it as they like...if this doesn't give you fun anymore, instead make you feel miserable, quit...like many did...

audiorapture

MVP

Apple (iOS)

IOS

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:52 am
Timmr wrote:
Am curious which parts of the game you still enjoy such that you are still willing to give your time and loyalty to Gameloft and Asphalt 8 ?. As opoosed to looking for similar or other alternatives for your entertainment needs.

Is still enjoy MP, and I actually do enjoy the Showdown MPEs. I blame playing Mario Kart for that... I also like milking events for the resources to pro the cars I already have. The new rank requirement might put the lid on that. We'll see.

Timmr wrote:
It would appear that I will have to finally accept reality. One which I have known for some time, but have been avoiding. One which is clearly defined in this summary. One which is confirmed (according to you) by Gameloft itself. It is time to leave Asphalt 8.

Do not confuse my post with any confirmation by GL in any way, shape, or form. Yes, I have mentioned conversations with CMs, but that only goes as far as saying that these changes (specifically the pro kit requirements) will not be rolled back. And asking why players feel the need to own/fully upgrade all cars.
The FLU ate my stats.
no avatar

BT9

Veteran

Google Play TV (Android)

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:23 am
Good OP AR, pretty much what I was thinking too. I think the anger out there is just not accepting the new reality. As for me, it's just a game and I don't feel emotionally invested. I'll play until I no longer have fun, period. I'm still having fun with it so I'm still here.
GL is definitely sticking with their game plan for the year. They will have a new one next year and the year after that so things are always in flux. You never know what will happen.
Never underestimate another man's greed or obsession...

Nive

Google Play (Android)

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:02 am
I don't disagree with your views, AR, but you're presuming being a collector is the only fun aspect that attracted people to this game.

I learned many many years ago that a lot of cars are "useless" and more often than not just "trophies". No disrespect to those who like collecting everything (like our resident Jake), but there are certainly other aspects of the game that attracted players and still do (eg: locations, track design, etc).