Speak about anything related to Asphalt 8!

Andrei FromGameloft

Retired Community Manager

Windows PC

Showdown Mode feedback round up

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:50 pm
Hey all,

As per Danger Mouse's suggestion. I rounded up some of the comments and feedback in regards to the new Showdown mode so it won't get buried in an already large thread.

So far, what I can say as a summary from what I noticed from players who hangout on Facebook and those that hang out on the Forum is really interesting, there's a lot of great feedback as well. ^ ^

For starters I'd say that it is either hated or loved. However, even those who like the idea, say that it should be restricted to TLE events only. I did notice, however, some players who asked when it will be implemented in Career and MP, albeit not too many. I cannot answer that yet since I'm sure that the game team is still gauging reactions.

Those who like Showdown mode because:

- it's a lot of fun,
- it brings another dimension of variety to the game,

I noticed that those who are critical of this new mode do not like it because luck is the biggest winning factor and skill does not cut it.
Another complaint about the mode itself is that it is not cohesive with the rest of the game, many avid racing fans want to just race and not explode each other.
Surge strike seems to be the biggest problem since only the Force Field can defend you and it only does so once. This makes everyone a target and defending 1st Position is very difficult.
Some of you also noted that you cannot tell what's happening while playing, I think that a more detailed HUD would help players have better awareness of what is going on around them, if they're being targeted and so on.
I also noticed an interesting point - a player was considering that there's not much sense in upgrading a car for Showdown mode since at the moment everything feels random.
The fact that this mode was added without asking the players beforehand and that it was not asked for in the first place.

Suggestions:

- Showdown mode to be restricted only on TLE events
- more traffic and overall obstacles that can make opponents avoid getting hit much easier
- cars should have characteristics that complement the power-ups (like slower or faster, better item ratios, harder to hit, etc)
- more tracks to be cycled when playing Showdown mode,
- tracks should be made with Showdown mode in mind to be consistent with the gameplay itself
- Showdown made should be a different game in and of itself (or added to Asphalt Xtreme)
- a stealth power up - ability to be practically invisible even on the mini-map - also, stealth AI opponents
- Surge Strike should not be like a homing missle - being able to avoid/dodge surge strike would be a good change
- a cap on how many times a player can get Wrecked by power-ups
- power ups should slow the player not Wreck completely
- ability to pre select boosters and reflect that in the colour of the pick-up icon
- Showdown TLEs should not consume fuel
- Surge Strike drop rate should be nerfed or Force Field should be buffed
- every player should start off with the same set of power ups and then only be able to recharge them on the track through persistent pick ups like Festival Coins

I'm pretty sure I missed some other suggestions and comments, so please let me know if that's the case in a comment below.

Thanks,
Andrei

Peter2593

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Re: Showdown Mode feedback round up

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:37 pm
If in the festival you have a number of quests having comets as the item used in show down mode, why don't you just restrict the showdown modes during those days to 100% comets only. Right now, in a single match, we only get anything from 0-4 comets and that means we have to do 40+ races at the minimum just to finish those quests.

Timmr

Windows PC

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29 pm
The best of all worlds is to leave Showdown as a TLE only. Thus players who enjoy it can play and those who do not, will pass.

Extending Showdown to other modes (career, MP) would not be justified unless the participation data is overwhelming.

Personally I tried it several times in the first 2 weeks: to see what it was like, how to play, how to play well and win, to determine if I like it. I played a few more times for an event that offered interesting rewards.

I no longer choose to play.

Be careful with the participation data from the first 2 weeks, it might not be representative of true long term participation given above comments.

My impressions are that Showdown will end up like motor bikes: An interesting experiment that ends up as a minor side line, inconsequential part of the overall game. That is fine.

As far as the festival quest goals & targets, I suggest the developers and community managers try to achieve some of the objects in beta testing before releasing to players. Theory and reality can be very different. You might have a better perspective and not set such wacky, difficult, and some cases unrealistic or unattainable goals.
"I don't need any Vulcan or Apollo while I have my Dodge Dart !!!"
no avatar

notanewbie

Apple (iOS)

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:38 pm
My suggestion is to TEST THIS YOURSELF.

You’ll find:
Double-credit boosters are not applied in any Showdown race. Fix it. Or tell us more lame reasoning why you’re withholding credits and not being transparent about it.
Too many wrecks despite instructions that say they only slow drivers down. Slowdown would be better than wrecks (and it’s what you SAY should happen).
Competing against 7 other drivers means waaay too many power ups. It’s a freakin slaughter, not racing. Limit should be reduced to 6 drivers to see if it’s any less frustrating.
When drivers grab power-ups, the effect is too distracting and looks too similar to the purple bomb.
Invulnerability time after a wreck is so short that you’re often Shocked into death again just as you re-appear. Frustrating, not fun.
Shield only protects from one pulse of Shockwave. It should protect from all or most of the pulses, otherwise Shockwave too overpowered.
Reset location on the track after a wreck is still TOTALLY EFFED UP. I can land after a jump, get killed, and be placed on reset BEFORE the jump. This is retarded and unfair.
All in all, there are so many other improvements and adjustments to make that players are BEGGING for, yet you completely ignore it for years. When you fix THAT everything else will be butter.

nograe

Veteran

Windows PC

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:46 pm
1. Showdown should not be incorporated in current MP since MP aspires to be skill based, though there are problems with that.
2. It could be extended into the Quick Solo Race section as one of the options, but realistically showdown isn't very interesting as a solo race.
3. Showdown could be its own category of MP, not one of the mode options in current MP races but rather a completely separate division. Many players would enjoy this.
3. Showdown could be shifted more towards skill and strategy by reducing the penalty for being hit. Currently, any kind of hit puts one back a long way. A hit early in a race might not matter, but later in a race it is devastating.
no avatar

HTB14

Apple (iOS)

PA

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:09 pm
I do kinda like the Showdown Mode, however the credits earned for a 2 lap event is pitiful, especially if you don't win, which is really hard to do unless your playing with a hack that appears to be immune to any of the 'destructive' power-ups - this is SUPER frustrating!!!.

Things I don't like...
- double-credits booster doesn't work, but yet I can watch an add to double up
- the speed booster (at least with an iOS) seems to drift the car to the left and is easy to somehow turn your car sideways and waste the booster while your boosting into a wall and can't do anything to turn the car straight until you run out of the booster, meanwhile everyone else you are racing are long gone!.
- if you start in the 2nd row, you pretty much end up dead last a couple of seconds later because the car in front of you will get the power-up,m so there is one the for you to get, but it's there for the car behind you to pick up and then you almost always get shocked or hit with a comet.
- once you get back in the pack, you are constantly wrecked, shocked, equalized, etc. It's like a bad dream only to eventually finish the race and earn a whopping amount of credits (just to be clear, that was sarcasm).
- if there are 'Festival Quests' that are for MP, then why do the Showdown MP Events count towards that?
Life is too short for MP races of more than 1 lap.  Does it really make you feel better to lose by 30 seconds than by 15?

NoobDriver

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:37 pm
Only ONE suggestion : REMOVE it...

You guys already screwed up with bike and seems don't learn the lesson... 

another suggestion : STOP doing something silly and start listening to your player.... There's a ton to fix than discussing something that shouldn't be in the game from the first place...
no avatar

Alexatrom

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:45 pm
NoobDriver wrote:

another suggestion : STOP doing something silly and start listening to your player.... There's a ton to fix than discussing something that shouldn't be in the game from the first place...

Nothing else.👍
Everyone‘s a Beta-Tester.
no avatar

null

Veteran

Windows PC

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:02 pm
NoobDriver wrote:

I agree with you 100% but we're operating under the mistaken belief that Gameloft gives two craps about their long-term players.   They want new players who are willing to open their wallets wide.  That's all they care about.

nograe

Veteran

Windows PC

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:08 pm
NoobDriver wrote:

If you don't like it, don't play it. Let the crowd decide. I don't like bikes so I don't race them. That doesn't mean that noone should have that option. Removing Showdow wouldn't force me to do more MP, and it's presence doesn't make me do MP less. MP can be a bit stressful, and when I race I want to be in top form. Showdown lets me relax and participate when I'm not up for MP.