Speak about anything related to Asphalt 8!

ash1

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Re: Off Topic #2

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:15 pm
-Cracker- wrote:
Edit. This reminds me of a documentation about apnea diving. Those people get pretty cold, if they hold their breath for a long time

Apnea, or cessation of breathing. My ex wife suffered from sleep apnea, where she'd regularly wake up at silly-o'clock thinking she was dieing. She used to do an awful lot of weird stuff in the small hours, actually. One time she started ironing, with the light off (and the iron off), with no recollection of how she got behind the ironing board. Ah, memories... :lol:
Cars owned: 220
Racing name: Wuxifingerhold6
A8 RIP
no avatar

Rons-Place

Veteran

Apple (iOS)

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:16 pm
To remain on topic
On a single main rotor helicopter, it can spin ( rotate) on its own axis faster clockwise than counterclockwise.
Too old to die young
Racing Name: Rot10-Ronny

Harry K

Veteran

Windows Phone

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:44 am
Rons-Place wrote:
To remain on topic
On a single main rotor helicopter, it can spin ( rotate) on its own axis faster clockwise than counterclockwise.

Laden or unladen?

Ps, sorry @Cracker, I think I cross referenced threads.
The Commitments -Try a Little Tenderness - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mgn5roohu-g

nograe

Veteran

Windows PC

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:30 am
ash1 wrote:

To kick things off: Did you know that it's a myth that the heart is a pump that pushes blood around the body? The force required to continually push fluid through x km of capillaries is way beyond the capabilities of any of the body's muscles. Just try clenching your fist continuously for more than 5 minutes and see how tired you get. The human embryo begins with circulating blood, in the middle of which the rudimentary heart develops. Our blood makes our hearts beat. Not the other way around.

To be clear: the heart will beat if it has necessary fuel, regardless if there is any blood to pump. The heart "pumps" blood by increasing fluid pressure in the vessels from very low, when it enters the heart, to fairly high pressure, when it has left the heart. From that point, blood flows throughout the arterial system based on fluid dynamic principles: a fluid or gas moves from higher pressure to lower pressure, and blood follows that pressure gradient. Simple as that.

Harry K

Veteran

Windows Phone

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:49 am
nograe wrote:
ash1 wrote:

To kick things off: Did you know that it's a myth that the heart is a pump that pushes blood around the body? The force required to continually push fluid through x km of capillaries is way beyond the capabilities of any of the body's muscles. Just try clenching your fist continuously for more than 5 minutes and see how tired you get. The human embryo begins with circulating blood, in the middle of which the rudimentary heart develops. Our blood makes our hearts beat. Not the other way around.

To be clear: the heart will beat if it has necessary fuel, regardless if there is any blood to pump. The heart "pumps" blood by increasing fluid pressure in the vessels from very low, when it enters the heart, to fairly high pressure, when it has left the heart. From that point, blood flows throughout the arterial system based on fluid dynamic principles: a fluid or gas moves from higher pressure to lower pressure, and blood follows that pressure gradient. Simple as that.

Capillary action?
The Commitments -Try a Little Tenderness - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mgn5roohu-g

Golden Oldie

Windows PC

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:57 am
Capillary action? Is that where baby caterpillars come from?

Harry K

Veteran

Windows Phone

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:04 am
Golden Oldie wrote:
Capillary action? Is that where baby caterpillars come from?

:) Na, that's butterfly action. Or birds, maybe bees. I'm not sure now I'll ask the kids.

Danger Mouse

Veteran

Google Play (Android)

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:55 am
That ^ reminded me of Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn (great movie BTW - watch it if you haven't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqpLEufGnA
Gameloft: No pride, no shame, no accountability, no care. Thanks for treating your customers with contempt.

Running Bird

Expert Racer

Apple (iOS)

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 am
ash1 wrote:
Our blood makes our hearts beat. Not the other way around.

So what exactly do you think the heart's purpose is? Also, do I assume correctly that you consider pacemakers a scam?

(Then again, I guess you're technically correct inasmuch as blood usually doesn't beat. Were you just trolling?)

Harry K

Veteran

Windows Phone

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 pm
Running Bird wrote:
ash1 wrote:
Our blood makes our hearts beat. Not the other way around.

So what exactly do you think the heart's purpose is? Also, do I assume correctly that you consider pacemakers a scam?

(Then again, I guess you're technically correct inasmuch as blood usually doesn't beat. Were you just trolling?)

Blood beat. That was a truly awful movie.